Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Flushing toilet causes gurgling from kitchen sink
Author: JeffreyPatrick (MI)

So earlier today whenever someone flushed my bathroom toilet, the kitchen sink(about 20 yards away) would have a horrible gurlging noise and I actually could see water bubbling up. Before all of this happened I came home one night and the flap inside the toilet tank was stuck up and the toilet was continuously running. I plunged the toilet a few times and flushed again and the noise had gone away. My question regards to the cause of this problem, is it possible that somehow the stuck flapper caused some air displacement so the sink gurgled or is it just that I probably have a blockage starting somewhere in my drain somewhere between the kitchen sink and the toilet. Or maybe the vent through the roof. Thanks for any insight.

P.S. I also have a studor vent on the p trap of the kitchen sink.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Flushing toilet causes gurgling from kitchen sink
Author: hj (AZ)

The Studor vent is WHY the sink is gurgling, but there is also a problem in the drain elsewhere that is causing an pressure in the system. The gurgling is a symptom, NOT the problem.

Author: m & m (MD)

If you are on a septic system, the run-on toilet may have flooded the drain field.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

That was my thoughts as well. Try to limit your water usage for a couple days and see if it gets better.

Author: JeffreyPatrick (MI)

I'm not on a septic system. So that means i'm going to need to either snake my drain or unclog the ventilation to the roof?

Thank you for the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

Author: hj (AZ)

The "ventilation to the roof" has NOTHING to do with it.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Sounds like a partial stoppage. Snake the line at the sink cleanout if you have one.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.