Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Main drain clogged and washer plumbing out of whack
Author: mg5487 (MD)

Hello, my washing machine has been overflowing out of the stand pipe. I'm pretty sure my main line is clogged as when water is draining into my septic is trickled in instead of a rush of water. Aside from that, I opened the wall to inspect the plumbing for my washer and it is awful. No clue how this past inspection. So the washer drains into a standpipe which goes down and across the room into my main drain. The main drain is 34 inches off the ground. As I see it I have two options, raise my box so I can have proper slope and put in. P trap and an aav or install a utility sink and have the washer drain into this and use a pump to discharge the water into the pipe. Any ideas?

[@#$%&[s1249.photobucket.com]][/URL]

Re: Main drain clogged and washer plumbing out of whack
Author: Don411 (IN)

Pipe should slop toward the main drain 1/4" for every foot, so if it's 8' run it should drop 2". Also, that lateral pipe that goes into the wall is serving as a trap, but it's such a long flat spot your clog may be right there. I would re-plumb the whole line, put in the correct slope and also the correct trap.

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

For sure you need a 2" ptrap installed at the bottom of the stand pipe. All of those 90s do not help the drain as the pump for the washer puts out a lot of water fast. Raising the height of the Standpipe to 46" could help but that drain had better never be clogged in any way or you will get an overflow into your home.

Edited 2 times.

Yeah, I agree it needs to be re-plumbed. So my clog might not necessarily be in the main drain but in the line for the washer. I'll have to flush a toilet and see how it drains into my septic to make sure its not the main drain. The washer is the only appliance I am having a problem with so it makes sense the issue is the washer.

So my main drain is 34 inches off the ground at the point where the washer line enters (this is the lowest point on the drain). The piping runs 20 feet, so at the washer the pipe would have to be 39 inches off the ground for proper slope.

My box for the washer is currently at 46 inches off the ground. In order to have an 18 inch standpipe, and the p trap, I would have to move the box closer to 60 inches from the ground. This would mean my p trap would be 42 inches off the ground. Isn't it code that the p trap not exceed 18 inches off the ground?

Is this possible to do, or should I be looking more into installing a utility sink and having the washer drain into that? The only issue is that I don't have much room for a sink and it wouldn't look that good, but at the same time a washer box that is 60 inches off the ground will also not look to great. Do I have any other options? Maybe the washer draining into a pump and then pumped into the piping shown in the pics?

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

there is no code regards to the height of the washing machine box and trap.
even if the sewer pipe is 6 feet off the ground, you can still put a trap with a standpipe. my code gives a max of 24 inches for a standpipe but not a minimum.
you must check with the washer manufacture to make sure the machine's pump will pump that high. most will.
secondly, avoid a seperate tank and pump at all costs. in fact some codes say no pump allowed if the system will work by gravity..

Ah okay, awesome, I guess the most logical thing would be to raise the box and re-plumb it.

I just had someone flush the toilet for me while I was out at the septic tank and the water trickled in at a very slow rate so I think there is a clog in the main line. I just had the septic cleaned out and the guy said he could see some tree roots in the pipe and said to use a root remover. I suppose I should snake the main line. Hopefully it isn't anything more serious, it's an old cast iron pipe about 60 years old.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Code in my area is that the bottom of the box must be at least 34" from the finished floor, and that the standpipe must be at least 24" .

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.