Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 1-1/4" vs. 1-1/2" p-trap
Author: nicholas123 (FL)

Hello everyone,

Background:

1. I'm relocating my bathroom's old pedestal sink about 42" from the vent stack. I'm in the process of installing the trap arm behind the wall with 1-1/2" pvc. It will have the proper slope and is not too long.

2. The new 1-1/2" p-trap I assembled is about 6-5/8" long, which is about the same clearance I have under the sink (between the back of the pedestal sink to its drain). I don't have room to add the 1/4" thick escutcheon.

So, I have a couple of options...

1. Use a smaller, 1-1/4" trap, which should be shorter and fit in the space available. It may clog easier, but then again the tailpiece is also 1-1/4". However, a smaller trap won't vent as well as a larger 1-1/2" trap.

2. Offset the drain (trap adapter) a few inches, so I can swing the p-trap out and give me more room. I'll have to cut and glue the trap arm a little shorter.

3. Recess the trap adapter into the wall and use caulk to seal the penetration. Note: drywall and tile not installed yet.

4. Buy a vanity sink, which I think has more room. (my other bathroom has a cheap vanity sink with 7" clearance).

Any advice? I'd prefer the larger trap because it should clog less and seems to be more standard. However, the smaller trap would be easier to install and I could probably use my shiny escutcheon and keep the trap pointing straight back to the wall so it's out of the way under the sink.

Edited 1 times.

Re: 1-1/4" vs. 1-1/2" p-trap
Author: Backyard plumber (OK)

The arm can be as long as you want it to be. For every 1/4 inch size of yr P-trap counts as a foot from the vent. So a 1 inch 1/2 trap can only be 6ft from the vent. Cause there's on 6 1/4 inches in 1 inch 1/2 trap. smiling smiley that tips free bud. On slope, remember @#$%& rolls downhill and you'll be fine. Good luck on the remodel

Author: hj (AZ)

1. 1 1/4" Trap IS standard for a lavatory. Traps do NOT "vent" so that has nothing to do with the trap size.
2. If you offset the trap it may not fit inside the pedestal.
3. How will you tighten the nut on the trap adapter if it is inside the wall and the sink is in front of it?
4. Traps are designed so they do NOT "clog".

HJ,

1. You're right about the trap not venting. I was really thinking about the smaller diameter trap adapter for a 1-1/4" trap, but after looking at a sketch of the trap arm and how the water could back up in this arm and cut off the venting air, I can see how the size of the trap adapter shouldn't affect the venting ability. The trap adapter is on the high side of this 'air venting path', so it doesn't really affect the venting.

2. And you're right about the damn trap not fitting within the pedestal if it's offset and spun a little. My pedestal sink only allows the trap to be turned maybe 30 degrees.

3. I could only partially recess the trap adapter into the wall, so I could still tighten the nut. I'd rather not, but I think the old installation was that way. I could also move the pedestal sink out away from the wall and lay a thick layer of caulk between sink and wall, like the old installation, but that looks like crap.

I'm having second thoughts about the pedestal sink, because it doesn't have much counter top space and no storage underneath the sink. I guess the problem is I'm trying to position the drain stub-out where it will accommodate either type of sink...pedestal or vanity. Space is very limited and that's why the last guy choose a pedestal sink.

If I try to install a standard cheapo 24" wide sink, which seems to be actually 24-1/2" wide, and add for the tile on the side wall, I actually have less than 15" for the toilet clearance, maybe closer to 14". So, I may have to stay with the pedestal sink.

I guess I should reconsider a 1-1/4" trap.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I never use 1 1/4" traps. Sometimes I'll use a street trap adapter in the 90 where it turns out of the wall. That gives room for the trap and the nut is exposed for tightening purposes.

Author: hj (AZ)

Back in the day, before plumbers got lazy, and cheap, we always used 1 1/4" chrome "P" traps. Now, we usually use 1 1/2" plastic traps, we they are inside cabinets.

Re: 1-1/4" vs. 1-1/2" p-trap smile

NC Plumber, Thank you for the tip. I just checked and since my wet wall is wide, I have room for a normal elbow.

I just came back from Lowe's. Apparently, most high-end vanities have at least 8 inches of clearance so normally this isn't an issue. I guess cheap vanities and especially pedestal sinks are tight like that.

I checked out their p-traps too and unfortunately, both size traps have the same takeout, so a smaller trap will not really help me. So, I'm going to keep the 1-1/2" trap I already bought and just recess the trap adapter about 1/2" into the wall. The threads will still stick out for the nut.

Take care.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.