Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 toilet won't flush on it's own
Author: CNJSmith (OR)

I have a Toto CST604CEFG toilet that has quit flushing correctly. When it was new it flushed fine. The
only way I can get it to flush is first I adjusted the screw that limits the
tank level so that the tank fills to 1/2 inch below the overflow pipe then hold
down the lever until the tank is drained. If I press the lever and don't hold it
down the flapper immediately closes. All the seals are good. There is no leaking
from the tank after it fills. I've snaked it several times thinking it might be
an obstruction. The toilet is five years old. My first thought is to replace the
flapper yet I don't see what might be wrong with it. I don't want to replace
parts unnecessarily. Do you have any ideas?

Re: toilet won't flush on it's own
Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

I think you are on the right track by changing the flapper.

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Yes, try replacing the flapper. They get stiff after a few years and do not work as intended.

Author: marlinman (FL)

I see many people changing to the Toto THU140S Flapper. It does not have the extra hole which allows air to remain in the flapper for a longer flush time.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Author: CNJSmith (OR)

I sort of followed your idea and picked up a Korky universal flapper for Toto. This one had side holes that could be adjusted from three to one and a bottom hole that could be reduced in diameter by inserting a plug with a smaller hole. I set the side holes so only one was open and added the plug to the bottom hole and that seems to do the trick. I imagine I'm using more water than was originally intended for this water saving toilet but if I only have to flush once thats good. Thanks.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.