Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Washer drains into sink
Author: JKS89 (IL)

I hooked my washer back up after having a new hot water heater installed and now on the drain cycle it backs up into the sink. The washing machine drain is in with the sink drain. Is it a clog? I poured some main drain cleaner down the main drain before I attempted to snake it. This never happened until after the hot water heater install.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Washer drains into sink
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Washer, do put out a lot of water as they drain. It is not unusual for water to pool in the tub, but should drain rapidly. You still have a clog, somewhere. Not being there makes it more difficult to assess.

Time for a licensed plumber to evaluate the lines and vents.
Best Wishes

Author: packy (MA)

incredibly bad job to start out with...
water heater can not cause the problem you now have.
you have a clog in the drain.
the check valve in the drain makes me think there were problems from the beginning.
anyway, install a cleanout in that piping and put some hangers on it..
then snake the pipe to see if that clears the clog.

I agree it looks terrible, thats what the house had when I bought it. I'm going to try using a garden hose and the ballon thing and see if it helps.

@packy, Install a cleanout anywhere on the line? And hangers? What kind?

Update: snaked it, sounded like it cleared the line, started the washer, and it is still doing the same thing.

Either replace the check valve, or call a master plumber..

Author: packy (MA)

cleanout tee just to the left of that 90 .
as for hangers... j-hooks will do just fine.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

short sweep 90's , running threads, undersized piping. I'm a bit surprised it ever worked satisfactory. What happens if you turn the sink on wide open hot + cold and let it run ? Does it back up then ?

Thanks for all the advice clap

It does not back up in the sink if I run cold and hot full force...drains just fine, it only happens when the washing machine drains. I'm so confused because I feel like it should drain down the sweep just fine and not back up..I might install a check valve or check the old one out first to see if its messed up? Its all just really aggravating....

Would replacing that whole run help possibly? I'm just so confused as to why as soon as the washing machine starts draining that whole line all the way back to the sink fills up instantly, yet when I run water from the sink, nothing. If replacing the whole line there, what would I need or what would be the proper way to fix this crappy setup? I apologize in advance, because I know pretty much NOTHING about plumbing. Thanks for all the advice so far though!

Edited 2 times.

here is two other photos

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.