Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Delta Kitchen Faucet - spray diverter, again
Author: WL (MA)

I have a 1989 standard Delta single handle kitchen faucet with sprayer. (I have the original Installation Guide, which says it’s either model 100, 110, 300, 400, or 100HDF—I don’t see a model number anywhere on the faucet.)
The sprayer stopped working about ten years ago. I’ve finally gotten around to fixing it. Since the sprayer nozzle had also cracked, I started by buying a new hose and sprayer head assembly. That did nothing. So I bought a kit, and replaced most of the innards: seats and springs, O rings, cam assembly, and—most important—the diverter valve. It seemed easy, but did nothing at all. No leaks, but absolutely nothing from the sprayer when I squeeze it.
The old diverter (badly corroded when I took it out) looks a little different from the new one. It’s part brass instead of all plastic, and seems to be a slightly different shape. The old Delta Installation Guide lists the original part as #320, and there it is on the Delta website in brass, “RP320-Discontinued.” Is it possible that the new diverter doesn’t work in the 1989 faucet, and I need to get the original #320 part? If not, what else could be wrong? (I didn’t test the new hose/sprayer for obstructions before I installed it, but there wouldn’t have been anything I needed to do to clear the hose before installing it, would there?)
Old and new diverter valves, below:

Diverter photo:

Faucet photo:

Re: Delta Kitchen Faucet - spray diverter, again
Author: m & m (MD)

When you installed the diverter, did you push it firmly into the port? If not fully seated, it will allow water to bypass.

Author: hj (AZ)

Did you remove the old rubber piece when you removed the diverter? The way a spray hose works is that it ALWAYS flows water when the button is pressed. The diverter just stops the flow from the spout. So you have something blocking the flow TO the diverter or from it to the hose. All those faucet models are the same with slight variations as to how they mount, and your diverter is the same as the old one.

Author: packy (MA)

there seems to be an "O" fing missing from the old part as well.

Yeah, I think I pushed it in firmly. It would hard to get the barrel over it if not....

hj and packy - Thanks smileys with beer

hj and packy - Thanks. I'm not sure if any little O ring was missing from the old one, but I'm now thinking that what was missing was a black rubber plug-sort-of-thing on the end. So if that was missing when I pulled the old diverter out, maybe what was going on is that a number of years ago that rubber part disintegrated or got dislodged, and blocked the outlet. If it had gone all the way thorugh and blocked the hose, the new hose I put on should have done the trick. But if it is still wedged in the brass inside the faucet outlet itself, it could still be blocking the whole thing. The faucet would read that blockage as the spray head being closed, and keep sending water to the spout. And squeezing the faucet head would do nothing due to the blockage. Sound reasonable? If so, I've just got to figure out how to clear the blockage....

I take you both agree that the new, entirely plastic diverter valves are basically the same and fit the same as the discontinued brass version?....

Edited 1 times.

Re: hj and packy - Thanks smileys with beer
Author: packy (MA)

hj and i agreed on something about 11 months ago. i can't even remember what it was ? i think it something to do with pablo sandoval's girth.

Re: hj and packy - Thanks smileys with beer
Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes - same part - different material

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.