Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Floor drain smell
Author: mln2603 (PA)

We moved into our house 3 months ago and before that the owner was out of state and the house sat empty for 6 months. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but there is a horrible smell coming from one of the floor drains in the Unfinished basement. I have poured gallons of water down it a couple of times and it seems to make it worse. It is not dry, I can see the water sitting in the trap. I'm also not sure if it's related but I found drain flies in the bathroom located beside this drain. I am in the process of figuring out where they are coming from. Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Floor drain smell
Author: packy (MA)

pour peppermint oil down the main stack. then some hot water. the person who did the pouring should not go into the house. now, smell around to see if the peppermint smell is coming thru from under the toilet or from the floor drain.

Ok and what does that mean if it comes to one of those?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Pour a quart of water into EVERY single drain. Floor drains should have cleanout plugs installed in the side of them; if they don't, that is where your sewer gas is coming from.

when a homeowner complains of a bad sewer smell in a house and it is difficult to pinpoint the place it is coming from, then some kind of testing has to be done.
easiest test is peppermint oil and a good strong sense of smell.
next type test is a smoke test.
this will give you an idea of what that is...
[www.bing.com]
smells in a house can be very difficult to find..

I have done that several times.

I know exactly which drain it is coming from. Now I need to get rid of the smell.

as said, some floor drains have an accessable clean out under the cover. make sure there is a plug screwed into the cleanout out opening.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.