Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water backing up from bath faucet to shower head
Author: matt615 (TN)

We just bought an older house that had the bathroom remodeled and when I went to clean the tub a small amount of water started coming out of the shower head. Some quick googling pointed to the tub faucet so I tried to remove it, but couldn't unscrew it and found that it's attached to a Pex pipe they ran through the wall instead of steel or copper and as i turned the faucet, the Pex just turned with it. Some more googling found that a metal pipe should have been used and the difference in diameter could be causing restriction causing the water to back up to the shower. I went to Home Depot and explained the situation to their "plumbing guy" and showed him some pics. He told me he thought I just needed to lower the water pressure and that he didn't think the pipe diameter would make a difference. I measured the pressure and it's 75 PSI which doesn't seem that high based on what I've read. I found this forum and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. This pic is of the valve and faucet plumbing from behind the wall. Fortunately I have access from a bedroom closet without needing to cut into the wall.

Re: Water backing up from bath faucet to shower head
Author: KCRoto (MO)

There is a reason the smock man works in the store and doesn't work in plumbing. You will need to cut and remove the red 1/2 pex that feeds the tub spout and remove all of it from the bottom outlet of the tub spout from the fitting down. Your best bet would be to solder copper in for the tub spout. If you choose copper, you will want to shut the water down and disconnect the hot, cold, and shower connections, and remove the cartridge from the valve before sweating the pipes or you can damage the plastic.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You will need to remove that pex and replace with copper or brass. I'd probably use brass, all you'll need is a coupling, a 90, and a couple of nipples.

Author: hj (AZ)

If you solder it, the water in the pipes will keep the valve parts from overheating. THere is no reason to use a "T" for the spout, but you might want to anchor the new elbow to the wall, "somehow".

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the inside diameter of the PEX is limited to the inside diameter of the 'barb' fittings

way too small and will make back pressure sending water to shower head

you will need to 'hard pipe' to tub spout 'full bore'

if valve body is 'tapped' use 2 brass nipples and a brass elbow

however

the nipples would need to be measured and cut precisely (unless you get real lucky with stock lengths)

or

start soldering copper tube and fittings

or

call a plumber

TEST EVERYTHING BEFORE CLOSING UP

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

either the photo is reversed or the plumber used blue pex for the hot and red for the cold.
it makes no difference but it is just strange??

What would you expect from someone who uses PEX, and a "capped tee" for the spout, without any "strapping"?

There also isn't any backer behind the tile. Given a little time the whole thing will fall in anyhow. Moisture will make the wood swell and the tiles will pop off. I think the black drywall spacer is supposed to be removed before installing the cartridge too, but at least it will be there for the remodel.

I think he is clamping the surround wall between the "spacer" and the trim plate.

I was referring primarily to the area around the blue pex. There is tile that is unsupported, unmortared, no backing of any sort. If it isn't there, it isn't anywhere on the valve side of the shower at least, so moisture will be an issue at some point.

thanks for the help everybody. love
Author: matt615 (TN)

thanks for the help everybody. i was pretty sure he was wrong.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.