Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 58" Tub
Author: patanhis (WV)

Hi, I too need help with a bath tub. I am not a plumber or construction person! I don't know all the terms or names of materials. Please bear with me. My bathtub and walls seem to be one piece, some sort of plastic. It's stained (well water) and the walls are peeling. The tub creaks when I walk on it. I'm afraid it's going to fall through to the basement while I shower. I am not super heavy. People tell me that's ridiculous! The house is what I call pre-fab by a company called Foremost and built in the early 1980's. The tub has 3 walls. Measuring from wall to wall (no tile, just the painted drywall) is 58.5". The tub walls take up space and the measurement on the inside from wall to wall is 57.25". The wall depth where the plumbing is, is 32.25" The back wall w/o the plumbing is a hall way measuring 41" to the edge of the door. I don't want bathfitters to cover the walls and tub, I want them gone and the flooring checked/replaced for safety. Don't care at this point if it's all replaced with more cheap plastic. I can't find a 58" tub! I see posts here that say they are really 60". I have measured 7 or 8 times and there is nothing about the tub, tub walls or drywall that is 60". Any suggestions? Thanks, Patti

Re: 58" Tub
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

A mobile home supply will have a 58" tub, although it will be made of a cheap plastic material. If the plumber will pour cement on the floor to support the tub it will make it solid feeling. You can use a waterproof wall board to make the surround . It will not stain.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

It is most likely a 60" tub. Typically the tub is set against the studs, then furring strip (1/4"winking smiley is added to the face of the studs, over the tub. This allows the MR drywall that was probably used back then to clear the nail flange of the tub.So. 60 - 1/2- 1/2- 1/4- 1/4= 58 1/2.

Author: hj (AZ)

Do an Internet search for 58" bathtubs and you will find many, but I would not purchase one until you remove the old one to be sure it is NOT 60" between the rough walls.

Author: patanhis (WV)

So even though the tub and tub walls are attached to each other, the tub is some how stuck inside the drywall and the walls over it? (sorry I'm so confused) frowning

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

qquote; the tub is some how stuck inside the drywall and the walls over it?

YES! the tub is attached to the framing and the drywall is installed over it. So you have to know the dimension between the "rough" walls in order to know what size tub you have. In the normal course of events a 60" tub would be the standard, but mobile homes walk to the beat of their own drummer so it could be whatever size was least expensive.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.