Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sulphuric Acid Damaged Stainless-Steel Sink
Author: Anonymous User

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT WE MIGHT BE ABLE TO USE TO GET RID OF THIS STAIN?

My husband tried Liquid Draino and plunger to clear our very slow draining kitchen sink. When that didn't work, he went out and bought a concentrated Sulphuric Acid drain opener (Rooto). He used all 32-ounces. When it backed up into the sink, he agreed we need the Plumber.

It was last Sunday morning, 2 days after he lost his job (and a year after being unable to work for 32-months and multiple intestinal surgeries). So it was an honest, if desperate, effort.

The acid stained the sink badly. After the plumber left on Monday morning, we tried to remove it with mild abrasives: Bar Keepers Friend and then Zud. The stain lightened a very wee bit, but it is still very unsightly. We're in the process of trying to sell the house ;o in a tough market, so this is a disaster.

The medical bills wiped-out our significant savings & most of a Home Equity Loan we took to fix up the house for sale. We're in real trouble. I've told you all this so you understand our $$$ situation. Getting a professional to restore it isn't possible. I spoke to American Standard,the manufacturers technical department. The suggestions were: Stainless Steel Polish or Olive Oil. (I did try some Noxon yesterday on a small area without results, but there was only a little left in a very old can... so I don't know.)

Having found you by reading your post about the dangers of chemical cocktails, I realize we got off easy... I could be a widow today. We did know enough to tell our plumber what all chemicals were used, and he was glad we did. Anyhow, thank you for this wonderful site... and the very serious warnings that grabbed my attention. You are most gracious to offer folks this opportunity to get help. Plumbers Rock!

Sincerely Optimistic, Catherine

Re: Sulphuric Acid Damaged Stainless-Steel Sink
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The sink is likely etched from the chemicals. I think replacement is the only option. If you were a bit closer I'd donate a new sink, seeing how you've been going thru a tough spell.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

What type of SS finish do you have? Brushed or Polished

Best Wishes

Author: m & m (MD)

I had a similar situation with a stainless water fountain and sulfuric acid. It opened the drain but not before it backed up onto the stainless. Unfortunately, it was permanent.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Sometimes.... depending on the level of etching.... stainless steel wool can be used to restore a certain finish. It has to be stainless steel wool, NOT steel wool.

Best Wishes

Author: hlee (OH)

if your sink is a brushed finish then you can actually sand it with wet/dry sandpaper (the black type) use progressively finer grits. .. go with the grain so it blends in. if its a polished finish then i use various grits in a orbital sander until the final is very fine. then if desired you can polish it with a cloth wheel with a metal polishing compound.

the idea is to remove a few surface molecules of metal. you can actually remove a lot if you need to then blend in with progressively finer grits.

i don't remember if it worked or not but i did try a flapper wheel in a drill motor years ago.

if you are unsuccessful and are handy with tools then we often see renovation sinks at a local "habitat for humanity" store. usually for less than $10. sometimes at yard sales and places like craigs list as well. sometimes we see better ones than what we would have bought new.

it was really good that you warned the plumber what was in the sink. everyone should do that.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.