Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Ice Maker Install - Running the Line to the Bathroom Sink
Author: iceMakerQuestion (CA)

I'm looking to install a water line behind my fridge for an icemaker. My issue is that I don't have a water source on the same wall and the kitchen sink is on an exterior wall. I don't want to use a saddle valve on an overhead line, so I was thinking of using flexible copper tubing to run up the wall, over about ten feet, and down that wall to tee into the cold water supply line for the bathroom sink. The line would be 1/4" copper and I want to use a wall box for a finished look behind the fridge. My questions are threefold: how do I most effectively 'fish' this flexible copper up and down the walls, how do I run this copper once I get to the attic so as to avoid sharp bends or stepping on it later and flattening it out, and what kind of wall box should I use behind the fridge as most seem to be new-work types? Any thoughts on this plan and responses to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Ice Maker Install - Running the Line to the Bathroom Sink
Author: bernabeu (SC)

so...don't use a saddle valve ...install a tee and a valve

if YOU can't...call a plumber

the couple of $$$ will be well spent as opposed to a 'shoemaker' job about which you will worry

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

any wall box that i know of are for new construction.
i would stay away from a saddle valve. watts makes an icemaker kit that includes a sharkbite type tee with a built in 1/4 inch shutoff. it includes 25 ft of 1/4 pex as well.

if that won't work, you can install a double fixture stop under your sink. it has 2 handles and 2 outlets. one outlet is 3/8 for your sink and one is 1/4 for the ice maker.
sponser sell these..

Thanks for the advice. Instead of welding a tee I was planning on replacing the existing single outlet valve with a dual outlet angle stop valve like this one:. Is there anything wrong with that?

Thanks for responding. So would you recommend PEX instead of the flex copper? Can I use PEX with the dual valve under the bathroom sink as well?

with your valve you have to shut both fixtures off at the same time. the other kind lets you turn either one off while the other side still has water.

Right, I've got that. I'm just wondering if I can connect the PEX to that valve - I thought it was only for copper lines (new to this). But if I can replace the valve then connect the PEX directly to it then my problem is solved as (i'm assuming) it's much easier to run PEX up and into the wall then over and down to the fridge.

yes you can, you just need to use a plastic sleeve instead of a brass sleeve.
looks like this..

Excellent - that's what I'll do then. Does PEX suffer from any of the taste/odor/degradation issues I keep reading about that people have with 'plastic' pipes?

pex is inert when in contact with water.
one more thing, use plastic clips not metal when securing the tubing.

Makes sense. Thanks for all the advice. The only remaining question for me then is how to 'dress up' the entry/exit from the drywall. Any suggestions since they don't seem to have wall boxes for retrofits?

Author: Jeff L (CA)

I know this is of no help, but when I was a little kid, and called for one of my folks to bring me a glass of water when I was in bed at night, I didn't like "bathroom water". wink

Update: After writing this, I did some checking (Googled "bathroom water"winking smiley. It seems that in some places (like the UK), the bathroom water may actually be stored in a tank in the attic, actually making it unsafe. In my case, I'm sure the bathroom water just branched off of the mains via copper pipes and was identical to the kitchen water. Just a psychological issue with me.

Edited 1 times.

Nice smiling smiley ... someone in our house won't drink unfiltered tap water and so I'll be putting in a filter behind the fridge. Any suggestions as to brand/mounting type?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I use Oatey boxes. I cut the sheetrock so that the box can be secured to an existing stud. Other than a couple screw heads showing,in the side of the box, it looks like it was there before the sheetrock.

Neat - which Oatey box do you use? The results I find have huge 'ears' on them that would seem to require more than a little unsightly cutting.

Author: Jeff L (CA)

Our fridge has a build in cartridge filter for the icemaker/water dispenser. I assumed all modern refrigerators did.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If I have to cut a hole in the sheetrock to install a box, I cut the ears off.

Thanks for the info! Any suggestions on external filters and mounting types would be much appreciated as mine doesn't have one built-in. Also, is there any reason to install the filter behind the the fridge instead of under the bathroom sink where it would be easier to replace?

Edited 1 times.

no filter needed if the fridge has it's own.
if not, put it under the sink so you can slide the fridge all the way to the wall.
yikes, one more thing.
you will need either some pex to run from the ice maker box to the fridge or else you can use a stainless braided connector.
get one long enough so you can slide the fridge out if you have to.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.