Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 PVC to garden hose
Author: jmoody76 (CO)

I'm looking for advice on what I need to go from a 1 1/2" PVC pipe to a garden hose. I found [www.plumbingsupply.com] and was looking at all the fittings but I'm not sure what combinantion to get or maybe there is a different way to go about this. Thanks.

Re: PVC to garden hose
Author: steve (CA)

1½ coupling or fitting with a reducing bushing and then a brass fitting or hose bib, MPT x garden hose thread screwed into bushing .

Author: packy (MA)

screw one of these into the PVC adapter.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; screw one of these into the PVC adapter.

And have a few more PVC female adapters on hand so you can replace it when the male metal thread cracks the female adapter.

Author: mr leak (CA)

Sarcasm aside
you need to know that fittings as you show i.e the pvc threaded female is not to be used Reason : the fitting will likely break Not to code
Male threaded plastic into female metal is ok
Think about the reason and it becomes clear

Please state the code section, that says the bushing is illegal.

Author: hj (AZ)

It is NOT a bushing, and even when NOT prohibited, good plumbing practice discourages it for the reason I, and others, have stated.

Not a bushing?

Then what is it? It fits inside a fitting and reduces down the size.

Well...

I've never seen it in the California Plumbing Code, but it is in the California Mechanical Code.
"309.5 Plastic Fittings. Female PVC screwed fittings shall be used
with plastic male fittings and plastic male threads only."

Author: jmoody76 (CO)

Thanks. I knew it had to be easier then I was making it.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

however you do it...leave a MALE thread on the plastic

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: r.bohn (OK)

He He,
I like the way Packy says when. After 30 yrs i had one of those quest pieces, gray plastic on the bath hot side start to stain my ceiling a little. I went to tighten it a "little" and it started spraying.Woah, "what happend?" Panic!! I ran to shut off the main in the basemen!You all will say I should shut off feed first, but I was too smart for that since the idea is to tighten and bolster (correct) a bit of loosness that had developed. It was weak and cracked more.I was suprised since it was only about 3 foot pounds.. Patched slight ceiling drywall damage. No more of the Quest wonder product.
Prognosis: Quest back then wasnt fully tested. I am advised the chlorine combined with the hot water side led to plastic decomposition failure,. not to mention the taper threads leaving a continuous tension on the plastic like Packys pix shows.
Always learning keeps life interesting. I love it even if the leak got me a demerit from the wife.

Author: adamjeedurabuilt (TX)

Deleted....

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.