Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Snake stuck in bath drain
Author: Shivhough (MA)

Hi, we live in a condo building and my husband tried to unblock out bathtub with a snake but now the snake is stuck. Help!!

Re: Snake stuck in bath drain
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Did he remove the overflow plate and linkage to insert the snake? Just keep twisting and pulling. If worse comes to worse cut it and chuck it in a drill.

He just put the snake down the drain!

It doesn't look like we have an overflow!

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

Condo... You have an overflow , it's the shiny round thing below the faucet... Think he better keep spinning ccw and pulling...

The only thing under the faucet is the leaver for the bath stopper, that opens and closes the drain. Doesn't an overflow have an opening?

Author: Timsplumbing (MA)

That is the overflow plate the tub stopper has a linkage connected to the lever. The drain should have been snaked threw the overflow opening.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Plumber to the rescue! Some things are best left to a licensed plumber.... in your state.
Did your drain snake have a hook on the end or a bulb?
How much of the snake do you think is stuck?

Best Wishes

Thanks for all the tips. Hopefully we'll be able to remove, it if not we'll call a plumber! Thanks again!

Author: greekguy7 (IL)

Can you take a picture and post it on photobucket?? Is the other end of the snake still in the canister? Try turning it counterclockwise while pulling/tugging on it. You probably got it wrapped in knots in your drain

Author: hj (AZ)

The drain in the bottom of the tub or the overflow. If the bottom, it should come out if he rotates the snake backwards while pulling on it.

That lever is ON the overflow, and that is where he SHOULD have inserted the snake.

wow... For once, I actually gave a similar response to the legendary and great hj. I must have learned a tiny bit over the years here. smiling smiley

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Actually, hj, I have a couple "direct drain" bathtub setups, where I have to insert the rod through the drain, not the overflow. Pretty rare nationwide though.

Usually the grid on those is too small for the end of the snake, unless you can "screw" it through.

Author: packy (MA)

i think he means a shoe outlet drain.
the type where if you look down into the shoe, you see the trap water.

I "know" what he means, but I am saying that the "strainer" in that type has crossbars which limit the size of snake which can go through, unless they are a thin metal and the snake has a head with a corkscrew so it can be "screwed" through the strainer.

the type i am familiar with has this type of pop-up drain actuated by linkage at the overflow.
no cross hairs in the drain shoe.

The ones I have used had a Push/pull, or push open/push closed, stopper which do have cross hairs.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

look closely~you will see the 'cut out' on the bottom of the overflow plate for flow

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

great picture, bernbeau.. very informative...
problem ius that pasrticular drain would not pass inspection in mass. the slip nuts are not brass...

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ok Packy ~ you have successfully drawn and quartered the nits

you missed that the brass is only 22 gauge (or is it gage?) ~ not the required 16

smiling smiley

? ain't it grand to be older than dirt ?

ps. like i am

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

quote: the slip nuts are not brass...

Are you sure? Given the "sheen" on them and the limitations of a printer, the lower one could be "polished" brass and the upper one "rough" brass, or they could both be one or the other, but since NEITHER one appears to be "silver", and even then they could be chrome plated brass, they are probably not "die cast" metal.

Author: sum (FL)

very nice pic bernabeu!

Learned something from that pic.

I wonder if they really cut the tub and sliced open these parts of the metal pipes to show the sections and take the picture, or this was done with computer graphics.

Author: Jacek (PA)

Looks like they cut it, you can see the saw marks on the pipes and such. If they did it on the computer, they would have made it look "prettier".

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.