Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 650,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Best online strictly PLUMBING help, advice, dyi, and informational forum. Questions and discussions about toilets, sinks, faucets, drainage, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, water quality, and other exclusively PLUMBING related issues. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, or business, pricing, or legal questions, or for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. This site is free, ad free, pop-up free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How to tie into this main stack for small wet bar sink
Author: kezug (IN)

Hello again. First of all, I want to thank all those who contribute to this great forum. Without the help of many of you, I would not have been able to do a lot of the projects around my house.

Now, onto my issue for my latest project.

I have a wet bar sink that I am putting in. I have the hot and cold water lines all ready to go but I am now stumped as to how to connect my sink drain to this 4" inch waste stack.

This sink is in my basement. The 4" line that you see below is a waste stack for my upper floors. It is one of two stacks that I have in my basement.

My questions:
1) how can I tie into this stack for a waste line from my sink that I want to put in?
2) my sink is going to be right next to this 4" waste line. Will I need a Air Admittance Valve?

NOTE: My sink will be to the right of my supply lines and to the left of that vertical soffit that the 4" waste from upper floors is located.

Here are some pics:

Doug

-----------

You do it in one try - You're a Genius

I am so close to being a genius!!!

Re: How to tie into this main stack for small wet bar sink
Author: hj (AZ)

1. If you tie into that stack you should have a conventional vent, because it WILL be subjected to positive pressures and an AAV can only eliminate negative pressures.

Author: packy (MA)

you can cut out a section of pipe and replace it with a 3 x 1 1/2 sanitary tee. glue small pieces of pipe into each end of the san tee, measure it's total length and that is how much you will cut out of the stack. use no hub banded couplings on each end of the piece you have made up. roll the rubber back over itself (like you are rolling up your sleeve), slide it into the stack opening and unroll the rubber. slide the stainless bands back over the rubber and tighten.
while you are at it, turn the cleanout so it faces 90 deg to the right and put an access panel for future use.
you will need to vent this. look around the basement for a future or existing vent.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Cut in a wye under the co tee and another inverted above it 42"then add the street 45 from the lower wye to a santee and and branch to the aav.then connect back to the stack from the top of the san tee to the inverted wye with a street 45.Yoke to keep the aav from choke.

quote; Cut in a wye under the co tee and another inverted above it 42"then add the street

That is NOT proper, or legal, under any current plumbing code.

"Author: packy
you can cut out a section of pipe and replace it with a 3 x 1 1/2 sanitary tee. glue small pieces of pipe into each end of the san tee, measure it's total length and that is how much you will cut out of the stack. use no hub banded couplings on each end of the piece you have made up. roll the rubber back over itself (like you are rolling up your sleeve), slide it into the stack opening and unroll the rubber. slide the stainless bands back over the rubber and tighten.
while you are at it, turn the cleanout so it faces 90 deg to the right and put an access panel for future use.
you will need to vent this. look around the basement for a future or existing vent."

Packy...thanks for your response. This makes total sense to me and unless I find a different solution, this is what I will be doing.

However, In order for me to turn that Cleanout, I will need to cut it as it appears to be a glued in connection.

So, can I do the following:
rubber coupler
small piece of 4" pipe
Sanitary Tee
small piece of 4" pipe
clean out
small piece of 4" pipe
rubber coupler
?

NOTE: How much pipe do I need for the rubber coupler to be banded to?

Doug

-----------

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, putting one no hub coupling above the cleanout and one below the sanitary tee will work fine. just leave a couple of inches for the rubber to slide over. that's plenty.

I wanted to report back to let you all know how I did. I do have a question though

First, I put in the no hub couplers just as recommended above. I did from top down, coupler, san tee (3x3x1.5"winking smiley, then another coupler.

Second, my question, when I cemented all the pieces together, I ended up being 1/4" short for the new piece to go into the stack. Meaning, the top no hub coupler is coupling the 2 pieces and in the middle of this coupler is a 1/4" space between those 2 pieces.

Will this 1/4" gap cause me any problems? (the gap is at the top where the top coupler is).
Will it cause a blockage or other problems?

Doug

-----------

Edited 1 times.

No problems.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2020 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.