Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 removing Kitchen faucet drivng me nuts
Author: inovermyhead (CT)

One nut is rusted solid I have tried using a basin wrench but it won't budge. I used some WD 40 to loosen nut but that did not work. I even unscrewed the kitchen sink, so i would be able to remove old faucet easier, but for some reason sink won't come out (maybe it was glued down) How can i get that last nut free??? Help!

inovermehead

Re: removing Kitchen faucet drivng me nuts
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If it's metal use Roto tool with cutting wheel, or hand grinder.
If its plastic melt it off.
I have destroyed a faucet base plate from above and let the stud + nut fall down thru sink opening and onto the cabinet base.

Author: packy (MA)

I don't have those tools (it is metal) It might be cheaper to get a plumber instead of getting those tools.

inovermyhead

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Just bought a Dremel.....basic one was $55. Wanna borrow it?

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

I've taken a long drill bit and drilled holes through a nut, to split it apart.

Yeah, Come by and lend it to me,and maybe you can help me out LOL I was just hoping for some plumber's trick to loosen that nut. I am heading to the rental property now to try again with a new basin wrench, my old one was pure crap. One more question I unscrewed the sink form the counter top but guess what, it won't budge Was an adhesive placed there? Is that normal? If i can get the sink out I will be able to take that nut off in minutes.

inovermyhead

Author: bernabeu (SC)

"Easy Cut Jaws" Removes Faucet From Sink in Minutes!
•Works on all faucet brands that have 1/2" water supply shanks
•Has hardened steel hex end that fits into any drill chuck
•Built-in spring loaded patented safety chip-guard
•Uses heat treated bi-metal cutter that cuts through brass, steel and plastic faucet mounting nuts

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

Put the "screws" back before you damage the sink or countertop. There are many different ways to remove that nut. "Nut cracker" is one of them. A nut splitter is another, Deep socket. Small hole saw, or specialized one for faucet nuts. Etc. One thing that seldom works when the nut is frozen is a basin wrench.

Edited 1 times.

Author: cvcman (NY)

WD40 is garbage, its a water displacer, use PB Blaster or better yet Kroil

I pulled off the sink before I read the new replies, anyway I used a wrench on the nut and it still would not come off, after trying fro sevral minutes I took the blade of a hack saw in my hand and cut off the nut. Unfortunately I made a small chip in the counter top
Question is there a product to cover it up the chip??

inovermyhead

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; Question is there a product to cover it up the chip??

No.

Author: cvcman (NY)

what is the countertop material

Author: k9wnolegs (CA)

Just tackled the same problem today. Liquid Wrench, PB, basin wrench all didn't work on the nut. Decided to use my Rotozip and saw the nut. Need to be extra careful working in such a cramped space, but it worked like a charm. Cut the bolt off and a line in the nut and used a screwdriver to pry the nut off.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.