Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 estimating plumbing work
Author: ron s (NV)

Would like to have a ballpark estimate of the hours necessary to rough-in the plumbing in a new 500 sq. ft. first floor cottage. Delling will have wood flooring. Bathroom will have basic tub/shower, water closet, and a lavatory. The kitchen fixtures will consist of a sink and a dishwasher. Near the bathroom will be a 35/40 gal water heater. I would also like to have a rough idea of the hours necessary to install the five fixtures and the water heater. I'm not a trained plumber, but have some knowledge and handy with tools. Appreciate any information anyone cares to offer.

RonS.

Re: estimating plumbing work
Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

The time it would take us would be WAY less than the time it would take you.

Your choice of copper or pex water lines would also make a big difference.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

This is the work of a trained, licensed, and insured plumber.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

3 weeks and 6 trips to home depot

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Ron, honestly, we don't discuss the costs of doing projects. Even baseball estimates. The Internet doesn't allow us to see the complete picture.... I'm sure that you understand. Why not consider getting estimates from your local licensed plumbers for a more accurate cost.

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

The fact that you state you are NOT a trained plumber, but want to know how long it will take, implies that you may be trying to do this for some other person and want to know how to figure your charges. The only one who knows how long it will take YOU, or anyone else, to do the job is the person doing it. EVERYONE works at a different pace, and has his own idea of how the piping will be installed, which will affect both the time and cost of the job.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Author: jimmy-o (CA)
3 weeks and 6 trips to home depot

nope ..... at least 72 trips (@ 4 per day) assuming OP rests on his 'sabbath'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

6 trips? Nah. Each plumbing job is 2 trips. I'd say about $400 in gas. smiling smiley

Author: ron s (NV)

I'm sorry i didn't make myself understood. I was interested in having an idea of how much time a qualified plumber would need to complete my project.
The best, Ron nerd

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

a 1 bath 500 sqft ranch could easily be roughed in 15 hours and finished in 15

id throw 30 hours on it....remember i dont know the details...im assuming digging a sewer, gas lines, pex

with decent fixtures id most likely be in the $7,000-8,500 range

i could probably rough it in a day and finish it in a day

quote; i could probably rough it in a day and finish it in a day

Does that mean you work 15 hour days?

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i bid based upon what a normal plumber can do

i am a super plumber...i work 50-100% faster than most

and i work 10 hour days on large projects typically

when i complete a job faster than a 'normal' plumber i pocket the extra hours...thus giving me incentive to keep working efficiently.

i have plumbed a 1200 sq ft ranch in a day before, but the sewer was pure sand and only 15' long...baths were back to back....since this is a 500 sq ft 1 bath im sure i could rough it in a day easily

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If nothing is out of the ordinary I'd have it roughed in and ready for inspection in 9 hours. Fixtures set, water on and checked out in 6 hours. I normally finish 2 bath homes in one day.

Author: sum (FL)

I am NOT a plumber.

But if I were to do it I would need about 3 years.

I would make 80 trips to Home Depot.

I would take 50 pictures every day as the project progresses and come back to post them here to ask questions or for @#$%& and giggles.

I make sure everything is accurate to 0.001mm and turn my screw slots to align with the direction of the magnetic north.

I only use each can of primer once, then I spill the whole can and have to buy a new one.

I debur everything, even pipe sleeves.

I measure once, cut twice, then I do it again.

All this while hj, Packy, bernabeu, Lemon, Paul etc... shake their heads and sigh... confused smiley confused smiley confused smiley

Edited 2 times.

This post can be printed out and accepted as fact, because it is EXACTLY how his project has gone, although I think his three year time frame is rather conservative for completing the job. By the time he is finished, the country may be having a "Y2.1K" panic.

Edited 3 times.

Author: sum (FL)

now now now hj I am not that bad HAHA.

Hey at least I try to do the right thing to a fault!

quote; Hey at least I try to do the right thing to a fault!

Can we say OCD?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

sum.....I thought it was 3 houses after all this time!

Nope, a third of a house so far.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

sum a real plumber would have though you died and the project was over!LOL

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.