Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help me understand my basement toilet/sink drain rough in
Author: kezug (IN)

I am needing help understanding what exists as my basement toilet/sink drain rough in.

I have a couple of items to work out. First, is with venting and second is with "what is under that?"

First,
Here is the back of my bathroom wall. To the right of the first 2 pictures is where you will see a rag stuffed into a 2" drain line (where it broke off at the base...oops). This drain is right behind the toilet rough in.

I suspect that this is the drain line for the Sink. But does this serve as a vent too? If so, there is nothing above to tie into.

First 2 shots show the pipes (notice the right most rag stuffed hole). The 3rd photo shows what is above

Secondly,
Here is inside my bathroom with a styrofoam cover. For 14 years, I have always wondered what is underneath....well, what can I expect when I cut the foam off?

Doug

-----------

You do it in one try - You're a Genius

I am so close to being a genius!!!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Help me understand my basement toilet/sink drain rough in
Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

the 2' vent seems to have been pushed into aback fall area.It would need to be checked for dry flow.The insulation on the galvanized tubing ?/stove vent is to protect the pvc in the close issue being below.the foam is just a marker as used here and a fitting pvc test cap is easy to remove to confirm.Let us know how you make out.the first photo hurts me to see.and may be the only real concern of your three.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Was there a question in there somewhere? The pictures show nothing. You might as well take a picture of your front door. A close-up of a broken pipe leaning against a wall, a water heater, a maze of plumbing and ductwork and a clump of foam sticking out of a toilet flange.

Author: kezug (IN)

^^^^my questions are in there.

First is a question about where I vent that broken 2" pipe?

Second question is what is under that foam?

Doug

-----------

You do it in one try - You're a Genius

I am so close to being a genius!!!

Author: packy (MA)

3 venting possibilities

run the 2 inch individually thru the roof.
tie into an existing vent stack 6 inches higher than the highest fixture it is venting.
if allowed in your area, use an automatic air vent.

as for the foam, clear it away and see what is below it.
post another picture if you don't understand what you see.

as for the broken pipe, break up the floor and replace it.

Author: hj (AZ)

The opening for the toilet is under that foam. They put it there so you will have a "ring" around the pipe so you can install the flange over the pipe. All the other questions would need us to be there to see the actual job site.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

As said,the two inch was badly located or badly damaged.Use the cut it off and look down/a little water and see if it drains dry to find your only nightmare.l

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.