Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 675,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Welcome to Plbg.com and PlumbingForum.com. The best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice, help, dyi, and informational plumbing forum. Questions and discussions about toilets, sinks, faucets, drainage, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, water quality, and other exclusively PLUMBING related issues. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, or business, pricing, or legal questions, or for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups. We do not sell your information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 I poured drain cleaning solution down the garbage disposal
Author: sunshipballoon (IN)

Our kitchen drain randomly clogged. My boyfriend put some egg shells in the garbage disposal, and for no reason it clogged it. We cooked taco meat the other night, and some of the fat got spilled down the sink, so I wonder if that is what clogged it. i sprayed really hot water down the drain when it happened. I don't know. this was like 2 days ago. ANYWAY, i was a @#$%&, and we poured some drain cleaning solution ("The works" is what it was called) down the drain without reading the whole label. It says don't use it on garbage disposals. did i just screw up my garbage disposal? will i need a new one? how can i fix it? Thanks so much!

Re: I poured drain cleaning solution down the garbage disposal
Author: mr leak (CA)

What I found works well is once a month dump a tray of ice cubes down the disposal as it both cleans and sharpens the disposal "blades" in the respect of cleaning all the crap off.As far as the grease restraunts do pour boiling water down their drains for obvious reasons

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

First SAVE YOUR $$$, Chemical Drain cleaners DO NOT WORK, Lets see Grease even on a semi regular basis will close up a drain, Call a drain cleaning company or a plumber that cleans drains to have it cabled properly, You may or may not put the disposal to its happy home, Call a professional to evaluate it and give you the news.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Author: dlh (TX)

it wont break tomorrow most likely but you did shorten the life as those chemicals attack the metal in it just like they do to our cables.

pouring hot water down the drain only allows the grease to move a little farther down the line before it cools and re-solidifies.

i doubt grease in the disposal is the problem. if it is just the disposal and not the drain itself that is clogged it is most likely a piece of the egg shell blocking the tiny drain hole in the disposer

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

A good rule of thumb is if you wouldn't or couldn't eat it or it hasn't been eaten you should keep it out of the plumbing system. Egg shells should go in the trash because they will not break down in the septic or sewage system and will just add up and cause a blockage.

Author: hj (AZ)

A single time is not likely to have damaged it, as long as it could flush into the drain and not remain in the disposer. And, even then it would depend on what the disposer is made of. But as you have found, drain cleaning chemicals are like alchemy, it sounds good but seldom works.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Greetings Sunship. Straightup... you dis'd your drain and waste system.

Nothing should enter the waste on purpose or accident except gray waters. Your question is regarding a single incident, but you haven't told us about all those other incidents from the past that have contributed to what you are experiencing.

No chemical will resolve that issue as you continue to pay the price for "dis'ing" your drain.
The solution is a real licensed plumber, with the proper equipment and knowlege to clear and clean your drains. Pushing restrictions and stoppages further into the waste, is not the answer as you have personally witnessed.

I would suggest that you watch the plumber and what they do to clear and clean those drains. Ask questions, because if you don't, the plumber will be back again... and again.

In the future, please be more careful and treat your drain and garbage disposal better, if you want them to last longer. Is this a house... or an apartment?

I truly wish you the best
Best Wishes

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

One of the DANGERS is that disposers sometimes splash back out the hole, and sometimes back up into the adjacent sink. Be very careful if you have a disposer full of drano!

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

I have to agree with all previous posters.
Grease, eggshells, etc. have no business going down the drain.
Chemicals DO work, for one thing only. The lighten your wallet.
And if you DO decide to use them, read the whole label next time.

I refuse to auger/snake/cable any drain that clients have put chemicals into.
For one, it eats my cables, and for 2, if it splashes back, I wear a snootful of burning stuff on my face.

Get a plumber in there to sort it out.Stay away from RR

---------------

quote; for 2, if it splashes back, I wear a snootful of burning stuff on my face.

WHere do your customers buy their drain cleaners? I have NEVER been burned by the ones people can buy because even if they might work, they are all so diluted that the are ineffective. The only way I know there is Drano or similar in the pipe is that the water feels slippery.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I once went to unstop a bath tub drain , the homeowners had poured who knows what in the tub, but it ate all of the enameled surface up about 3" in the tub. It was down to the bare steel.

Author: sunshipballoon (IN)

well the drain is no longer clogged, about 40 minutes after we poured the "the works" drain cleaner down the sink, and flushed it with cold water a couple of times, the clog was gone. so the stuff worked.
thanks for the replies, mainly the ones about the effect on my garbage disposal, the other ones didn't really help me in my question at all. my boyfriend thought eggshells were good for the garbage disposal, it helps clean it or something. he put them in there, not me. and the grease was an accidental spill, i usually am very careful about what goes in the drain!
and the drain cleaner i used wasn't even drano, it was an offbrand called "the works", and it worked GREAT at unclogging the drain!!! I just hope the garbage disposal is not hurt by it.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Glad to read that all of your plumbing issues have been resolved... to your satisfaction.
Take care of your drains... and they will take care of you.

Best Wishes

Author: dlh (TX)

sometimes they give you some relief but it did not clean the drain because as soon as water started going through all the chemical was washed out.

tell your boyfriend that next time he should use ice and an orange peel

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Not likely that it has caused immediate damage.some disposers do have a plastic dispersal liner that can melt.and some use pot metal that will yield by way of oxidation.as long as it is still working let it go until it starts making unusual noises or leaks.Make a habit of looking under the sink not just grabbing what you need.

Author: Plumbum (Canada)

Amen Shoe Amen

My dad was called to clean the drain on a tub. The homeowner owned a hardware store and he had poured almost every drain cleaner he had is stock into the tub and let it set for a few days. That concoction DID dissolve the enamel on the cast iron tub, but it was also not what the average homeowner does when they use chemicals. I once went into a store's restroom to unplug a urinal. It was full of black water. There was a man in the room using the sink. As soon as I stirred the black stuff it emitted toxic fumes so powerful I could not open my eyes. I knew where the man was and where the door was, so I grabbed him and dragged him out of the room. A stock boy had decided that if one chemical did not work, maybe several would, not caring or realizing, that they might not be compatible.

One feature of ANY liquid drain cleaner is that it usually only clears enough of the clog so it can go down the drain. The "little hole" it makes will usually plug up again in a matter of days or weeks, depending on what you run through the disposer.

Author: hj

quote; for 2, if it splashes back, I wear a snootful of burning stuff on my face.

WHere do your customers buy their drain cleaners? I have NEVER been burned by the ones people can buy because even if they might work, they are all so diluted that the are ineffective. The only way I know there is Drano or similar in the pipe is that the water feels slippery.

HJ, there is a small company here that sells cleaning/bathroom supplies here.
I had a call a couple of weeks ago where the HO had poured some stuff called YK2 into her basin drain, w/o success.
I put my hand on the pipe and it was HOT. No MSDS with the bottle, so I called the company to ask what it was.
The answer?
98% hydrochloric acid.
Label says to pour a 1/4 cup, leave sit for 4 minutes, and rinse with water.

She poured the whole bottle in, and called me after 2 hours.
HOs are not the brightest bunch if they don't read labels. And the label did not state to rinse with COLD water. Acid chased with hot water will heat it up again.

I have made it a habit to ask every single client if they poured anything in their drain.
Even as ugly as I am, I like my face just the way it is.

---------------

well, in the first place HCl is NOT what a sink drain needs. It has almost no effect on grease, it is for calcium buildup. H2SO4, (sulfuric acid), will attack grease, if it can get to it. Pool acid is about 20% HCl, so I cannot imagine what they paid for 98% acid. That, however, is NOT a typical homeowner's drain cleaning chemical.

25 bucks (there abouts)for a quart

Question........
doesn't calcium nullify the effects of acid?
In eastern Canada, the have lakes affected by acid rain.
The Gov't there flew over some lakes and dropped a combination of lime & calcium over them to counteract the acidity.
Can you explain?

---------------

Edited 1 times.

quote; doesn't calcium nullify the effects of acid

It does not "nullify it", the calcium depletes the acid as it dissolves, so it has to be refreshed.

sorry, used the wrong term.
Thanks for the explication

---------------

quote; A good rule of thumb is if you wouldn't or couldn't eat it or it hasn't been eaten you should keep it out of the plumbing system

I guess that would apply to frogs also. My wife was cleaning the grandaughter's frog's aquarium when she dumped him down the disposer. I thought I was going to have to take the disposer out and dump him out, but she finally caught him and pulled him out. Then the next job was to get him back into his home, because he wanted to keep slipping away. If he had gotten onto the floor the puppies would have had a ball trying to catch him.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Believe the effect is the ph level.The added chemical is only to stabilize.It is just water!

Solvent alternative products
Author: Anonymous User

Powerful, Inexpensive and Environmental Friendly Cleaners and Solvent Alternative Products.
[@#$%&[www.ipax.com]]Solvent alternative products[/url]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2021 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.