Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Oil Burner pump
Author: Lee (NJ)

I think I have an intermittent oil flow to burner. I have a Beckett Burner. I flipped lid/transformer back, took Cad Cell eye out, attached small tube to copper fuel line and turned electric back on to oil burner - the flow of oil coming out of small tube is good then stops for quick millisecond then returns to good flow. Flow is intermittent.

Question is should I replace oil burner pump? Is replacing oil burner pump straight forward? Can I reuse the copper plumbing fittings that are already there? What type of pipe dope do I purchase for fuel oil connections?

I believe all copper plumbing connections to pump are air tight. Oil filter is clean. I replaced nozzle already.

Thank you,

Lee

Edited 1 times.

Re: Oil Burner pump
Author: packy (MA)

yeah, you can re-use the tubing. be gentle on part 12..

Edited 1 times.

Author: SMSPlumbing (MD)

What was the boiler doing to make you start to take it apart and look? Why did you take the cad cell out? Are you pretty familiar with boilers, or are you just picking and pulling things apart?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Oil Burner pump Monday morning 12/06/10
Author: hj (AZ)

If you replace the pump, you have to check whether you have one pipe or two connected to it. If two, then there may be an internal "bypass" plug that has to be removed.

In response to SMSPlumbing:

"What was the boiler doing to make you start to take it apart and look? Why did you take the cad cell out? Are you pretty familiar with boilers, or are you just picking and pulling things apart?"

The boiler was or is turning on and then turning off for a quick millisecond. It sounds clean lights nice. I opened viewing hole to watch burner in action and it is firing nice but then turns off for a quick millisecond. That is why I was wondering about oil delivery to the burner from the pump. I took cad cell out so that pump would deliver an oil stream. I figured that cad cell would see light and think that burner was already on and that is why I took cad cell out. I actually viewed the stream of oil and it was not always steady it would be an on and off stream of oil. I believe I am pretty familiar with the boiler - but I do not compare to any of you guys on this site.

Thank you.

Lee

Edited 1 times.

To HJ:

If you replace the pump, you have to check whether you have one pipe or two connected to it. If two, then there may be an internal "bypass" plug that has to be removed.

I have two pipes connected to pump. I will have to look for an "internal bypass plug I definitely do not know where it would be?

Thank you,

Lee

Edited 1 times.

What may be happening, is the coupling in the fuel pump that attaches to the squirrel cage is slipping. That could cause the intermittant fuel.

Go here to see. [www.grainger.com]

This could be one thing, or it could be a bad pump like you are suspecting.

Might be dumb to say, but check the oil level as well. Maybe you already did that.

Edited 1 times.

What kind of pipe dope do I buy for fuel oil connections?

I checked oil level. I will go to grainger.com.

Thanks,

Le

For the copper, they should be flared fittings. No sealant neccesary. For the threaded ones, you can use some teflon tape.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You will have to use teflon on the brass fittings when screwing them back into the pump. I'll assume you've already checked your oil filter. The bypass plug will be a small set screw thats found under the bottom plug on the pump.

Author: jfplumr (NY)

You should NEVER use teflon tape on oil fittings as the tape can break off and end up in the fuel pump! I use only Permatex gasket sealer on oil fittings. I would first replace the coupler as it could cause this type of problem. If this does not resolve the issue then I would replace the fuel pump.

To jfplumr(NY):

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Replacing the coupler as SMSPlumbing(PA)had suggested. It seems to be a part that is not that expensive.So why not try that first I figure.
I will use Permatex Gasket Sealer on the threads that go into the oil burner pump.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has offered me help.

Merry Christmas.

Thank You,

Lee

Author: packy (MA)

i don't think it would cause this but have you replaced/cleaned the pump strainer and gasket?

Packy:

I have not replaced or cleaned the oil burner pump strainer or replaced the gasket but I will do so.

Thank you.

Lee

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.