Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Main shutoff valve: Gate or Ball?
Author: seanppp (CA)

The main shut off (gate) valve to my house is leaking. If I'm going to replace it, might I as well put a ball valve in?

Re: Main shutoff valve: Gate or Ball?
Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

Gate valves are no longer allowed in my area.
1/4 turn ball valve is the way to go.
Many styles available. I'm thinking compression fitting type is the way to go.

Author: hj (AZ)

Although gate valves and ball valves are approved, ball valves have pretty much taken over the industry, so why wouldn't you use one, other than because of price?

Author: packy (MA)

make sure the ball valve is full port...

Author: seanppp (CA)

Compression fitting? Why not solder?

Most DYIers can't solder?
Overheat the valve, and you know what happens.

Author: rudythplbr63 (AK)

I recommend ball valves, but you have to make sure you can open it ALL THE WAY to its open stop, otherwise the unopened side of the valve will wear away, and then it will act like an older gate valve, and you can't shut it off completely.

Also, I think I would use a ball valve fitted with "sharkbite"s . That way you have NO soldering to do.

Author: CanuckWolf (Non-US)

ball valve fitted with sharkbites? on a main water service pipe? naw.
soldered ΒΌ turn ball valve.if you think you can't solder it on properly and sleep at night, a qualified plumber can do the job rather inexpensively for you.

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

Grand Rapids, MI actually REQUIRES gate valves. I argued this with them before and their explanation was that "being a plumber, I should know what happens when you turn off a rapidly flowing main too quickly."

I said "so your telling me we must put in an inferior valve, because of the VERY slight chance that somebody has the house wide open and they decide to swing the ball valve shut too fast?"

No response.

I have argued with "officials" about their illogical requirements on other things also, but the response is always something like, "we have done the research and that is how we want it done". Recommending a Sharkbite or compression valve is one thing, actually having the room and movement to install it can be something else.

Very true, HJ.
And yes, a valve opened & shut too fast can cause significant damage.
I have a hard time believing that Grand Rapids still lives in the stone age

SEANPPP, compression/SB is still the way to go for most DIYers, you know yourself that soldering is a fine art, and a skill learned over time.

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

Well, believe it Nayman, I live here and have put in hundreds of gate valves over the last 10 years.

The funny thing is, GR is a VERY forward and progressive city. Somebody should let the water department know this.

I hear what you're saying, and I don't doubt it.
But after replacing gate valve after valve that have gone to the great brass foundry in the sky because of non-use and corrosion, I believe that a ball valve is the only way to go.
Whenever I put one in, I instruct the HO to use it every now & then, so that the crud that comes in our clean drinking water does not seize the new valve.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

try a Nibco bronze 300WSP gate valve ... will never break

Author: dlh (TX)

havent seen a gate valve yet that didnt break eventually

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

the above specified valve would probably retail for around $275.00

a less expensive 125WOG FULL PORT ball valve would be just as satisfactory

Opening or closing a valve too fast can only cause a problem IF the water is flowing through it at a considerable velocity. That is UNLIKELY to happen in most homes ANYTIME, and then only if they have many faucets open at the same time. The city's argument is specious.

Why would we do that when there are innumerable ball valves available. And the average customer would not care to pay the premium for that valve.

A Rolls Royce costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, but a Hyundai will get you to your destination just as quickly. Industrial valves, like that Nibco, are just that, for a specialized application where cost is not a factor.

Author: dlh (TX)

that is about $250 more than i would ever consider asking a customer to pay for a valve in their residence

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

ditto

can we not read?

QUOTE:
the above specified valve would probably retail for around $275.00

a less expensive 125WOG FULL PORT ball valve would be just as satisfactory
:END QUOTE

TO REPEAT: a less expensive 125WOG FULL PORT ball valve would be just as satisfactory

MANY businesses would feel the same way about it.

YOU are the one who suggested the $275.00 +/- gate valve.

my point was that: a quality long lasting trouble-free gate v. CAN be obtained at a hi price

but

a quality FULL PORTED ball v. can be had much cheaper

quote; my point was that: a quality long lasting trouble-free gate v. CAN be obtained at a hi price but a quality FULL PORTED ball v. can be had much cheaper

And my point by comparing Rolls Royce and a Hyundai was that it holds true for almost ANYTHING you wish to compare. You have to decide whether you want to spend extra money for "prestige" or go with utility. The average "millionaire" often goes for utility, and lets the "glamorous people" pay for the prestige.

Edited 1 times.

If you pay a plumber 1.5 hours to change a failed (cheap) main valve ... was it really inexpensive? Or would an initial outlay of $200 more have been cheaper in the long run?

DOH

The place for cheap valves is AFTER the main (King) valve smiling smiley

ps. you are probably too young to know the expression 'KING VALVE'

NEW INFO:

After further research I have found that Bronze 300WSP Gate Valves are now relatively inexpensive .... about $110 for a 1" NPT valve

the labor of the change-out is now more than the valve

Amortize the cost of the labor over the life of the valve and it is not a factor.

Author: Randy's Plumbing/Heating (NV)

Definitely go with a full port ball valve. quality counts on this one don't skimp.all brass a must.

all bronze would be even better

A full port valve is ONLY needed when you are using a "JetSwet", or similar, so you can remove it through the valve. The average homeowner NEVER has a situation where a "restricted" port valve would even be noticable. Many times a "non full port" valve will pass a cursory inspection because of the small difference between it and a full port.

Edited 1 times.

wink

You have not really lived until you have inserted the 'jet-sweat' through what you THOUGHT was a full port ball valve and sweated it into place only to discover ............. ahhhh s*%# smiling smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.