Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 floor level but new toilet is not
Author: rickh

Installed new tile floor. Added 1/4" extender to flange to compensate for floor height. Extender makes flange about 1/8" higher than floor. Floor is PERFECTLY level in every direction I put my level. Before installing toilet (still have not done) I placed it over flange to see how things are. Toilet is NOT level but floor is! I can level up by putting shims in back? OR will this actually level out better when I put in wax ring and bolt it down until it is level. Any ideas/tips for using shims? thanks

Re: floor level but new toilet is not
Author: SMSPlumbing (MD)

Some molds of the toilets are imperfect. They make plastic and rubber shims that you can put under the area that corrects the rocking. I have seen people use metal washers, and even spare change.

Tighten down the toilet like you would normally and see where you need to put the shims.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

You mean to say the flange is not level???If so, set the bowl dry to be sure there is no direct contact with the flange and use a thicker wax to make up the low side difference.

Author: hj (AZ)

Not lever side to side or front to back? If front to back, forget about it, just install the toilet.

Author: dlh (TX)

i bet the flange is to wide or the toilet isnt centered on it

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: bill plumber (FL)

I cut shims from my 3/8" pex supply tubes. Seems to work good.

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

unless its extreme i would just bolt the toilet to the flange and now worry about it being 1/8" off..or whatever it is...yes if its 1/2" off id get a new toilet...i cant imagine its that bad.

ive never put a level on a toilet or even noticed.

i wouldnt shim it level..id replace the toilet before id do that...i think you may be looking too hard for perfection...nothing ceramic is perfect.

whats the toilet brand name? i think i can guess

Author: rickh

It is unlevel front to back, not side to side. It is an American Standard.

WHO cares about front to back level? Some toilets are MADE unlevel that way for comfort. In fact, more than one "ancient" toilet had a curve to it like sitting in a saddle.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

if installing on a tile floor:

level toilet using 4 - 3/4" wide cardboard shims at the 'corners'

mix plaster and 'caulk' under bowl with putty knife

after 45 minutes (when plaster is set) remove shims and caulk gaps .. voila

perfectly level and 'rock solid' forever

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Set the bowl in a 1/2" of color matched grout.It will hold to where ever you desire to set it.

Author: bill plumber (FL)

Only problem with a wc not level front to back is the possiblilty of the bemis seat catching your pecker when it falls down.

That has NOTHING to do with the toilet being level. If the seat won't stay up the tank is not plumb, or the seat is too thick, and/or the seat holes are too close to the tank.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.