Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installing garbage disposal for ADA sink??
Author: Vince_B (CA)

I have a project with an ADA kitchen sink. I'm trying to add a garbage disposal to this kitchen sink, but not sure how while keeping it an ADA sink. Is this even possible? Do they even make garbage disposal for ADA sinks? Any installation details would be great. Thanks.

Re: Installing garbage disposal for ADA sink??
Author: hj (AZ)

What is an ADA sink? I assume it is a kitchen sink.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

An ADA sink formeost will have to be probably 34" H instead of 36". This will consctrain where you must have the drains. The switch would also have to be located forward somewhere to comply with the high forward reach spec.

If you are constructing an open sink with wheelchair access under, then a disposal will not be possible.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

user control of switching!!!Light /sound.

For a wheelchair, the 29" underneath clearance would raise the sink considerably above the 36" counter height.

Negitive HJ.

What is negative? If it is for a wheelchair and it is not 29" high, then it makes no difference if there is a disposer there or not because they are not going to be able to roll under it.

Edited 1 times.

do not find the same ks clearance as lav by code.Have done several split designs and lowered designs ,by user by never to under clearance.They would not take the 4 "shallow bowl rider as is your spec?I think.

Edited 2 times.

Author: bill plumber (FL)

I see no specs on ada clearances for sinks in the Florida code book. But, drinking fountains need 27" min knee space so I guess they could roll under at 27" HJ.

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

i believe i did one a hundred years ago that was a 22x36( or 33 cant remember) single bowl with the drain outlet in the right (or left) hand corner of the sink. i remember it had the two doors so it could be rolled under.

bill we are installing dual height drinking fountains by code?what is the low clearance on the low fountain?

27" min knee space, 36" max to bubbler.

No!elkay.Unless you are doing other.I am just trying to say we do not give a crap about code when serving a handicapped fixture.The user will be served!!

It does not matter the brand of the fountain the hieghts stay the same and he asked about ada sink. Which is the americans with disibilities act. Which leads me to believe he is trying to comply with the act.See [www.ada.gov]

Edited 1 times.

Thanks for posting that link. I don't see anything that requires wheelchair clearance UNDER a kitchen sink, only the max 34" height.

Author: dlh (TX)

4.24.4 knee clearance. knee clearance that is at least 27" high, 30" wide, and 19" deep shall be provided underneath sinks.

a disposal can be installed as long as the rough plumbing and the sink itself provide for it (drain at the back of the sink and plumbing roughed in low enough)

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

This entire section actually has to do with places of public accomodation, and I take the "sinks" section to be bathroom sinks.

I think local authorities may add requirements for residences designed as accessible, but that almost becomes a "custom" home for a specific residence. I did work in bathroom suite addition to a home for a disabled vet. The VA was subsiding the work, and they had their own specs for drive in shower, shower seats, where the grab bars went, etc. That person lived in a home with his family, so the kitchen and other areas of the home had certain modifications basically for his personal preference, but not so he could use the kitchen! One thing they wanted was brass "rub strips" about 8" wide along all the hallways and doorways to reduce damage by his wheelchair travel.

no it is not bathroom sinks since they have their own section under lavatories and mirrors it is section 4.19

i have done this type of work before for a 3 story assisted living center and the sinks section is exactly how the kitchen sinks were installed. i do not remember if we installed disposals as that was like 10 years ago

the sink requirements may not be for a private residence because they dont fall under the ada, which is meant for public areas, since it is a personal preference as another has mentioned

- - - - - - -

Thanks all for your responses. Sorry I was not clear enough in my post. This is not installed in a home, but a fire station headquarters and another at a highway patrol headquarters with a break room and a kitchen sink. We have to design it for ada, even though there probably won't be anyone on a wheelchair there. I have to check to see if I can install one in the back corner and still meet required clearances. I don't know if I can put in a double bowl sink and just have 1 bowl be ada and the other one not.

Check out Kohler "assure" kitchen sink. It has the drain to the rear. Now that I know it is a fire dept. they probably can spring for the $800.00 sink.

they will go with what ever is cheapest to buy and install and be with in their code

since it is a commercial application you will have to follow the code i posted for sinks

- - - - - - -

Makes you wonder HOW a "handicapped" person could qualify as a fireman, unless he/she is hired just as a cook or housekeeper. Firetrucks do not usually have "wheelchair racks" on their front bumper.

true but have you never seen an injured fireman that needs a wheelchair/crutches for temporary use?

- - - - - - -

Normally, I would not expect them to be back on the job until they have cleared medical clearances and are cerified job ready.

I'm so surprised that nobody from my office have done a garbage disposal for an ADA sink. It doesn't seem like it's possible to put a garbage disposal down there and still maintain ADA clearances required. angry

hj: Some of these stations train inmates (low level security, those inmates that are about to be released and need work experience) on how to fight fires, so they have buildings with sleeping quarters and kitchens. Like dlh mentioned, some of them do get injured.

bill plumber: thank you for your help. For some reason, I was looking at that ASSURE from Kohler and I didn't pay attention to the installation instructions. Then I ran across asktooltalk.com and they suggested ASSURE in the article. I checked it again today and decided to check out the installation instructions and there it was.... a table with suggested garbage disposal sizes. Now I just need to specify a small garbage disposal.

possibly but it doesnt matter. it is a public building and needs to be accessible by federal law

- - - - - - -

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

you can't because the bowls are shallow...something like 6 or 6 1/2 in deep

get a small builder grade disposal and i can make it work and still be ada spec

- - - - - - -

GE and Whirlaway used to make "pencil sharpener" disposers which were very narrow and made a high pitched sound when operated.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.