Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Speakman Sentinel Shower Valve Stuck! Help!
Author: rfcommagere (CA)

I have an old Speakman Sentinel shower valve (possibly model 60) that I want to pull out and replace the gaskets and washers and clean. I have it apart to a degree but can't go any further. Do I need a special 'puller' that you screw in and it pulls the valve block out? The three screws that are in the recessed holes are already removed. Does it look like I need to take apart anything else in order to pull out the valve block? For instance, do I need to remove the hot and cold stems, or the piston?

This valve has not been removed in more than 40 years and pulling straight back using channel lock pliers just won't do it!

Here are links to the photos:

[h[]]

Link to exploded diagram of valve.
[home.roadrunner.com]

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!

-Robert

Re: Speakman Sentinel Shower Valve Stuck! Help!
Author: tennessee2009 (TN)

hi robert, i have worked on a speakman shower valve.

the pdf file u posted shows model 1735. thats the drawing speakman e mailed me.

if u click on search then type in speakman you will find my post from about a year ago.

what is the reason that you are taking this valve apart ? how old do you think this valve is ?

i think you and me are dealing with the same or a similar model. i have dismantled and repaired the shower valve that i worked on. i also took many photos of the valve during each step of the work.

the photos you see that i have posted on tiny pic are before i dismantled the valve. if you will take and post photos of the front of the valve and the cover plates, handles , ect , then i will be able to see if its the same exact valve. even if its similar i can probably tell you what you need to do.

i installed cut off valves to this shower so i could work on it without turning the water off to the whole house. that was a good thing because speakman didnt know much about the valve. the pdf drawing isnt very helpful either.

i did this 1 step at a time. this is a top quality valve. i didnt need any parts. i was afraid i needed a whole new valve of another brand. but i felt quite proud of myself when the work was a success.

taking pics on each step of the work was my way of making sure i knew what went back where. as you will see in my post i only had 2 people reply to my question. i see you have no replies yet.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

That Series is obsolete and the dies and castings from the Old Speakman were sold to TAPCO- div os Elias Industries in PA. They continue to make many of those parts which are sold thru TAPCO dealers across the USA.
Soaking the parts in white vinegar will clean the surfaces and reveal excessive wear on the brass.

Best Wishes

Author: Pelorus (IL)

Wheelchair (IL):
I have read several of your posts re. Speakman Sentinel valves. I have a circa 1962 Speakman Sentinel shower mixer valve that I am trying to figure out how to remove---maintenance/repair. If I sent you a couple of photos of the valve could you assist by identifying the model number. Other than the cover plate indicating the manufacturer, the valve itself has no identification. My objective is understand how to remove the valve. Any assistance is appreciated.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Muncy (VA)

Have one just like this and have the same problem. Mine shows it is a Sentinel Model 57-RS, but the valve assembly looks exactly like your picture.

Any luck getting your apart?

Author: dowder9 (NY)

do you still have these covers plates? I am trying to get replacement wall plates/covers and cannot find.

thank you

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.