Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Adjusting PVC pipe after you glued them?
Author: sum (FL)

How much time do you have to adjust a PVC pipe after you primed and glued them?

I was gluing a 3" PVC pipe to a fitting today, the other end has already been glued to a 3"x4" 90 degree elbow for the toilet. I glued it and rotate it in place and the elbow was facing up. I took a torpedo level to double check it and it was off a little. This may be about 60 to 75 seconds after the glue was applied, I was not able to turn it by hand, so I shoved a 2x4 into the elbow and turned, it rotated just a tad and looks good now.

I am just wondering if by turning it almost a minute after the pipe inserted into the fitting, does this weaken the joint, did I do any harm?

Re: Adjusting PVC pipe after you glued them?
Author: chadschloss78 (MI)

I did that when I hooked up a drain for my washer a few years ago and it had a slow drip.

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

Generally if you have to use something mechanical to move a freshly glued joint then you do have a chance for a leak. This is not the right thing to do but you could wipe the joint with primer then glue hoping that if there are any voids caused by the breaking of the joint the primer and glue will capillary in and fill the voids. Depending how set the joint was will determine if you have problems. leave it open untill you can test it with water under at least 8' of head pressure

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Why was the 3x4 closet bend already on this section of pipe???You make it harder on yourself when you do things out of order.

I glued them on deliberately so I can place the center of the up turn elbow at 12.5" from the stud, while I align the other end over the fitting and mark where the hub socket ends so I can mark it. If I didn't do that I would have no idea how long to cut the pipe.

Normally I would just replace the fitting to be safe in this case this fitting is a Y and connected to other fittings and so it affects six other fittings so I would prefer to leave it...

PlumberManDan, I will try the primer and glue on the perturbed joint. I think another thing I might do is to cut the pipe about 2 inches from the joint, then put in a 3" coupling, then prime and glue that short pipe into the coupling, wiping the primer and glue on the "lips" of the coupling and fitting, and perhaps by doing that I will be able to create an additional layer? I don't know if it would make any significant difference, I would rather not replace that fitting.

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

60-75 seconds is way too long to make an adjustment...you need to check what your doing right away...5 seconds yes...60 no....

have a pocket level in your back pocket and fix things sooner next time..i wouldnt use a 2x4...

your asking for leaks

Author: dlh (TX)

i have done it many times and not had a problem

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

DLH...why have you had to?

I did have a level. In fact, I used a level to dry fit then marked the hub and the pipe so when I glued I didn't need a level.

For some reason after I glued, the elbow looked visibly out of level, I then put a level on and it seems to be off, now why it was level when I dry fit and marked them I have no idea. I then tried to turn it with my hands and it won't turn, so I went and got a 2x4 came back and stuck that into the closet elbow and twisted it a tad. I think 60 seconds or so elapsed during this whole thing.

Today I ran a garden hose down it and it did not leak, but this is not a pressure test. So I cut the pipe about 2" from the joint, I then reached inside the pipe where the joint is, I applied some primer and glue from the inside around the joint.

I then glued in a repair coupling, I applied the primer and glue on the outside of the joint, the primed and glued in the repair coupling over it, and did another application of glue over the tiny seam between the repair coupling and the fitting hub...then the pipe and closet elbow. I hope this will be leak free.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

IF I have to adjust it after it is partially set, I use the 2x4 to twist it OFF, then reassemble it the way I really want it.

Sometimes you change your mind as soon as you put the fitting on the pipe.

yep. not good to change your mind with 12" fittings as you wont get them back apart

- - - - - - -

I don't know, a good truck and a chain might work.

it might

- - - - - - -

12" is big you have to use a bigger ball brush than the one i used from those small cans?

You use a roller, similar to a lint pickup roller, on that size.

Edited 1 times.

you use rollers that look like paint rollers but the frame is straight

- - - - - - -

Which is "just like a lint roller", if you have ever seen one.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.