Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Cutting PVC pipes with a power saw
Author: sum (FL)

How do you cut your PVC pipes?

When I do repairs and have to cut an existing pipe I use a cable saw. They seem to cut through pretty fast. Sometimes I use a sawzall.

For new pipes that I need exact length I measure it then make a mark then I go to my compound miter circular saw and I make a nice neat cut with it...

I hold the pipe with my left hand, with my right hand I start the saw and lower the blade. At times, after the cut, the left over piece to the right of the blade, rolls back to the saw blade and bounces off like a rocket.

In order to avoid this from happening again, I started to cut it such that I don't cut it all the way through, I lower the saw blade until it's 90% cut then I raise the blade again, both pieces still held together, then I finish off with a hack saw.

I mentioned that to a friend and he said I should never ever use a power circular saw to cut a round piece of anything, pipe, dowels etc...told me I am looking for trouble by cutting pipes this way.

I mentioned that to another friend and he said he does it all the time without any problem, and his trick is he made this wood block that has a Vnotch in the middle, and when he cuts a round thing he rests it on this block and they will not roll around.

Do you have any opinions and preferences?

Re: Cutting PVC pipes with a power saw
Author: e-plumber (NY)

Mostly I use a reciprocating saw to cut PVC, (and get straight cuts) but I do have a tool similar to this one that can cut up to 2", the one I have is made by Ridgid, the blade needs to be replaced every once in a while.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Sum, when using the chop saw use a fine tooth blade installed backward.Sounds funny but works well.saws all with a fine tooth blade just watch your knuckles when the blade hits the pipe.Mostly I use a lenox hacksaw blade 24per blade held backward in my palm, no handle.

Author: dlh (TX)

when i did high dollar home rough ins (for a couple months) i used a milwakie chop saw, it is similar to your saw but i also used an abrasive blade which wont grab the pipe like a tooth blade will.

other than that i have used about every cutting method there is but the hack saw and sawzall are the ones i use the most often. i have even used a portable band saw once or twice

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: TFR (CA)

PVC you can cut with anything that has teeth. If you have all the time in the world and a nice selection of power saws, I say experiment. The Rigid hand cutter is very good if you have one. Hacksaw, wood saw, sawsall are very common. Skillsaw not so much.

Author: hj (AZ)

An abrasive blade melts its way through the pipe so it should make a square cut, but leave melted PVC on the bottoms of the cut.

yeah but its not that bad. no worse than the shavings left behind by any other type of saw that also should be removed before joining the newly cut piece with the rest of the system

- - - - - - -

They can be because they are melted so they can fuse themselves back to the pipe, whereas the rough edges from cutting "wipe" off.

Author: rjones0281 (MO)

for bigger jobs i use the hitachi.
for smaller jobs i love the fuego.
thay take a hell of a beating with every day use.
i thought this tool was a joke when i first bought it but has proven its self to be a life saver in tight places.
i use my milwaukee saws all on cutting out the old galv pipe and thats abought it iny more.
i will say that i am on my therd fuego but the first one hd wouldent give me my money back on because i threw a tantrum and slung it over head by the cord abought 3 times befor smashing it to the ground i couldent get it to reales the blade.
i tryed every trick in the book.
i will say this much it only busted into two peices fyi.
the second one probaly had no greese on the gears it dident last two months fyi.
hd gave me a new one without a wisper.
not a bad deal on the fuego ill give a 8-1/2 with the warrenty in my book.
just dont through a tantrum and you can get it replaced for free and at a bill you cant beat it with a big stick!!!

super handy plumbers tool!!

WARNING BURNING PVC OR SMOKE FROM PVC CAN AND WILL CAUSE HEALTH PROBLEMS.angry

Edited 1 times.

yes hj, but it is not a problem for the most part unless or you are cutting larger or thicker pipe

- - - - - - -

Author: sum (FL)

I know the miter saw or chop saw can cut PVC, I have been doing it myself and cutting it very slowly. I am just concerned about the safety aspect, because it has happened a few times when I lower my saw and finished the cut, the left over piece, because it's round, rolls to the blade while it's still spinning and bounced off like a rocket.

It has nothing to do with cutting slow or fast, or raising the blade slow or fast, it's the piece your hand is not holding that rolls towards the blade when the cut is done.

Any tricks to share?

i havent experienced that and i believe it is caused from the teeth of the blade

- - - - - - -

I may try it when they come out with a cordless version.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

As said...........Try it Sum ........

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.