Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 PEX re-pipe - trunk and branch or manifold?
Author: kayakdiver (KY)

I am replacing some of the old galvanized in my home with PEX. Does anyone see a benefit (better flow rate, etc.) from using a manifold layout or should I just follow the original pipe route to save the cost of the manifold and extra tubing? Most of what I need to replace is easily accessible in the basement.

Also, one installation guide recommended using 3/8" branch lines instead of 1/2" so you waste less water waiting for the hot to get to the faucets. They claim the loss in flow is minimal. Do you find that to be true or do customers complain if you use 3/8"?

Re: PEX re-pipe - trunk and branch or manifold?
Author: dlh (TX)

i would never ever in my life even think of using 3/8" pex pipe. those that have suggested that would pipe a 2 1/2 bath house with 1/2" copper from the meter also. it may work but not nearly as good.

the cost of the pipe is next to nothing so that should not even be a factor, what will be is if you have a recirculation line or not. they dont work very well with the manifold/home run method unless it is ran a certain way

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: GREENplumb (GA)

Use 1/2" . Pex NEEDS to be oversized, the i.d of the pipe is smaller than copper/CPVC. Personally I dont like the manifold system unless its for a Hotel/Motel/Apts/ect. A recirulation line is also a nice addition

Author: packy (MA)

i like the manifold system. with a 1" manifold and 1/2" lines, you can turn on multiple faucets and see almost no change in volume.
[smg.photobucket.com]

Yea, looks nice packy. The PRICE increases when you use a manifold system and most of the time its looks horribal when finished. Spaghetti anyone!

Edited 1 times.

Piped correctly WITHOUT using the manifold system you can also turn on multiple fixtures without a noticeable pressure drop.

Author: sfplumbing (NJ)

Looks good Packy, How do you make your manifolds?

I usually use branch method, but if I could make one look that good, I might think about trying it your way

oh, that was just something i threw together in my spare time..
just kidding.
watts make them a few different ways. 1" copper with sixteen 1/2" branches with mini ball valves costs about 10 bucks a branch.
you can't make one for that price.
you can cut them into any number you want or buy them in various outlets.
page 8 in their catalog...
[www.watts.com]

Author: redwood (CT)

In a small home I just do trunk and branch...
Larger ones I'll do trunk and branch using remote manifolds. See page 30 at the link below...

[www.huduser.org]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

i just don't like the idea of a manifold behind an access panel upstairs somewhere.
i've done it with hot a few times. not because i prefered to but because i had to in order to recirculate.
the last few houses i've done have had open floor plans. no interior partitions to run water line and big engineered beams that can not be drilled.
snaking around a bunch of 1/2" pex lines is much easier than trying to get a couple of 1" lines and manifolds in.
architects make our life miserable, sometimes.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; architects make our life miserable, sometimes.

Just "sometimes", I thought it was their mission statement. Otherwise why would they put bathrooms over the center of a ballroom sized dining room, or offset partitions on each floor? Or as one school in Illinois, show a mechanical room, but when the building was constructed as per plans it did not exist and they had to build one outside and run all the piping to it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.