Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Softener and Aerobic Septic System
Author: will00 (TX)

Our ten year old house is on an aerobic septic system whereby the third stage chlorinated water is periodically pumped onto the yard through rotating irrigation sprinkler heads.

We also have a ten year old salt-based water softener system.

If you out ahead of me you will know that my next comment will be that the third stage water is affecting (killing) certain plants due to the brine. We first noticed it within months of installing the softener system AND landscaping when any azaleas under the spray pattern began to die. However, some of the other plants held on longer and did not start to show signs of brine watering for several years. It's obvious that it is the brine since only the sides of plants that get sprayed with brine are leafless and just about out of life. The St. Augustine grass has not been affected and grows well under the spray.

I have been looking into "salt-less" water softener systems but read one of the plbg forum notes that there is no such thing as a salt-less water softener. I somewhat understand the science of ion exchange and have read a bit on the so-called "salt-less" systems.

Based on my softener/septic situation, are there any systems that can provide any of the benefits of a salt-based system without the unfortunate side effects?

Things I do not know: Actual hardness of water (I intend to find out based on other forum notes re: wqa website.); salt/brine tolerant plants; "goodness/not-so-goodness" of salt-free systems beyond advertising hype.

Apologies for length. I'll stop now in case someone out there can help. confused smiley

will00

Re: Water Softener and Aerobic Septic System
Author: GSchreiber, CWSVI (MN)

Softener waste brine regenerant should not be used for plant irrigation.

Yes, there is no such thing as a saltless water softener. Softening of the water is the removal of calcium and magnesium. The saltless whatever they call them do not remove those hardness minerals. They are still there and therefore the water is still hard.

You can install a whole house Reverse Osmosis (RO) system but that typically also requires either a water softener for the feed water to it or to feed chemicals to extend the life of the RO membranes. The saltless system would not be helpful as pretreatment for the RO system because it leaves the calcium and magnesium particles in the water that will plug the RO membranes. Plus a whole house RO system is way overkill, expensive and will produce water that will be corrosive to the household metal piping and fixtures.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Split .As you are .as you have a design +/- .........You .Must fit your home chemical use to set the reused water +/- what you deliver.Find L.B.A. at set to chamber delivery.You either need to waste more at home or deliver more yeast to the system.You are killing your bug's.

Author: redwood (CT)

I tried babel fish translator but all I got was

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Thank you redwood as most do not understand as the waste leaves their homes it is both positive and negative.As waste goes./You have water, which is negative /or should be in the waste end.You are the ones .not the one.In homes where no chlorine is used they feel the effects before the naturalization tanks.in homes where the ph is excessive.They kill the plants.He can protect the plants!!!OR use high ph chemicals./The system is as designed working.RED///BET///I see acid in his home used chemicals??

Author: ericsandstone (TX)

Redwood:

laugh

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, the county dictates how many sprinkler heads are required AND where they are placed on the lot for any given lot/system based on the size of the house, number of baths, number of potential occupants, etc. The water must be delivered to the yard and is not supposed to touch any sidewalk/driveway (concrete) or the street. All of the above is irregardless of landscaping, so the fact that the waste water hits plants is my fault due to the design of the landscaping.

Now that I know what is killing the plants and the fact that the septic system is here to stay, I either have to get rid of the affected plants, put in salt tolerant plants (if there are such), or change the system.

Knowing that salt-less systems do not really soften water, what are the "goods, bads, and others" about such systems? Are any better than others?
Are they an absolute "no, no" or just not preferred since they are not true softeners?

Without going the route of the whole house RO system, any general recommendations?

I really appreciate your input. I've read through many of the other forum inputs and am impressed with your candid responses.

will00

LemonPlumber....
Thanks for both of the inputs. I'm still clueless as to what you have said. I'm sure it makes sense to some, but I'm a liberal arts major! wink Even though I flew jet fighters off/on aircraft carriers for many years, I'm still having a difficult time following your input.

Many thanks with humble apologies for being so obtuse!

will00

Author: jagmosi (AL)

i seriously tried to squish the bug on the screen

I was afraid I was the only one who tried that!

laugh Bugs... laugh

The salt free "Conditioners" are a hoax plain and simple.

They may have some value on a closed loop for descaling purposes but they have no value as a water conditioner. To soften water the hardness minerals have to be removed from the water and the only way this is accomplished is with the Ion Exchange Method.

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Thanks. I was afraid of that after many hours of Internet surfing. But, the inputs from this forum have been invaluable in helping to make a decision. Now, I know............I need to get the used water to my neighbor's yard! Just kidding, of course.

Looks like the best solution is to find salt tolerant plants.

'Preciate your input....bugs and all.

Author: hj (AZ)

Change to pottasium chloride instead of sodium chloride. It is more expensive, but does not harm plants, and is also better for those on low sodium diets.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Salt tolerant plants often means, plastic. The only sodium tolerant shrubs are found in the ocean.

Good Luck and Best Wishes

Actually quite a few do well surrounding the ocean, and thrive in a heavy salt environment.

Rock Rose

Sea Pink

Bayberry

Prickly Pear

Beach Grasses

Rose Mallow

Trumpet Creeper

Here is a link that may help you out.
[www.salinitymanagement.org]

The funny thing is a lot of these plants will not require heavy irrigation to survive either...

Thanks for mentioning Potassium Chloride. I intended to ask about that, but my "oldimger's" kicked in. With respect to any salt-based softener system, can it be used in place of salt without any adjustments, settings, etc? I quickly glanced through my owner's manual and could not find anything about PC....only salt. If it is one-for-one exchangeable, I'll look into it.

'Preciate the input.

Thanks for the input on salt tolerant plants along with the pics. I will definitely look into them.

Author: hj (AZ)

Just put it in the brine tank. Plants love potassium.

Edited 1 times.

Author: GSchreiber, CWSVI (MN)

Once again I agree with hj. Just make the switch to potassium chloride and leave the settings as they currently are. You will not notice a difference but the plants that are not sodium tolerant will.

Thanks to all.

Author: mjd23 (VA)

Hey, try this too: [#$%&]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.