Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Garbage Disposal--clogged or broken??
Author: savery2151 (UT)

Hi.

My garbage disposal won't run/dispose. When it's turned on, it hums. Nothing evident in there jamming/clogging it.

When I turn it on and turn it with a Allen wrench, it goes...but when I turn it off, it won't start again....

Any suggestions on what the issue is? When I got it going, I let the water run for several minutes.

Thanks!

Re: Garbage Disposal--clogged or broken??
Author: steve the plumber (FL)

How old is the unit , Possible the shaft is broken.

It's 10 years old.

Author: steve the plumber (FL)

its time for a new unit , 1/2 hp unit normaly has 2 year warrenty.

Author: redwood (CT)

Just like this one...
Same color and everything...

It really died years ago...
It just didn't tell you!
Look inside and check out the non existant grinding teeth...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

At 10 years old, it is about 5 years past its useful life expectancy. Just get a new one.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it!

Author: hj (AZ)

Turn it with the Allen wrench, and then remove whatever is jamming it. You are unjamming it and then it gets stuck immediately when it hits the same thing again.

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

badger 1 is the most common....its not really made for heavy use...

no matter what you have 10 years is pretty good.

replace it-definately

badger 1 or badger 5- occasional use

for heavy use Insinkerator Evolution Pro Compact is the way to go

double the price, but Very nice.

Author: e-plumber (NY)

When it comes to a disposer, wouldn't it be wise to install one that you don't have to worry about what it can or cannot handle? Especially on a replacement.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

It didn't die of old age. It took one look at its plumbing and laughed itself to death.

They can all "handle it", some just do it for a longer period of time.

Author: redwood (CT)

That was a creative plumbing job I replaced on a dead disposer a while back...

I posted that in this thread probably a year or, so ago...

[www.plbg.com]

At the time I though it was worthy of a picture...
I wouldn't normally consider a dead Badger 1 or, 5 worthy of a picture.

Some DIYer plumbing does have an entertainment factor...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

There is a "start up" winding and switch inside the motor. Once up-to-speed the switch opens and the winding is not used. If the switch or the winding go bad, the motor will just sit and hum. If you give it a little push, then it will spin up to full speed.

A motor rewind shop could fix it, but they would probably charge you 4 times the cost of a new disposer just to look at it. Time to get a new one!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.