Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How can you clear water from a natural gas line?
Author: GoHerd (WV)

I'd like to have the natural gas reconnected to my home. It's been disconnected for about 10 years. The gas company found the line from the house to their feeder pipe, but it was not capped when last disconnected and has water/mud in it. It's a buried plastic pipe about 100 feet long. One end is about 10 feet higher than the other as it runs up an incline along my driveway. How's the best way to remove the water/mud from the line so it can be used again?

Re: How can you clear water from a natural gas line?
Author: Dunbar (KY)

That line is defective and should not be used. It will damage anything you connect to it.

- - - - - -

Everything in Plumbing can be repaired or replaced.

Author: e-plumber (NY)

Blown out with air pressure, thoroughly flushed with water then blown out again, repeatedly?
You would need access to both ends to do this, might not be worth the effort...
Probably time for a new gas service; 100' is not that long, especially along side, (and not under) a driveway.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Author: dlh (TX)

i agree a new service might be the best and easiest fix

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: nhmaster3015 (NH)

definatly have new service installed. That old line willb e nothing but problems.

Author: hj (AZ)

Compressed air is about the only way.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

You don't know how much internal surface damage over the years has occurred. Cleaning and drying the internal surface may work, up to a point.
Remember that anything missed during the cleaning and restore process will end up in your gas appliances, wheneve it decides to break off and head downstream, under pressure. You will never know when it is going to happen until you have an appliance failure.

I would consider a new line perios. For the safety of your family and house.

Best Wishes

He stated it was a plastic line, so little damage would have occurred, but a major consideration would be "what kind of plastic?", since yellow PVC was used for gas lines for a short period of time.

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

I agree with everyone that say; install a new one for all the reasons given.smiling smiley It will be so much cheaper in the long run.smiling smiley

2409,8+10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

3 years before Google started PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: packy (MA)

you might be able to fish a smaller pipe thru the existing pipe. sometimes the gas company can increase the pressure to that pipe to compensate for the smaller diameter.

Author: Dunbar (KY)

I agree with everyone that say; install a new one for all the reasons given. It will be so much cheaper in the long run.

2409,8+10undecided

Dude, what the hell is that? New millenium and math?undecided

You got me running scared now. nerd

- - - - - -

Everything in Plumbing can be repaired or replaced.

quote; Dude, what the hell is that?

I read a report by a hospital ER doctor, which said to avoid all people named "Dude" and "This guy" because they are the ones the hit you over the head or shoot you.

Author: jordanbragg (CA)

I read a study that said all studies are inconclusive

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

Streamlined time code referance point for my uses only.smiling smiley

2509,11+26AM

3 years before Google started PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: GoHerd (WV)

Thanks for all of the replies. I finally found some time to work on this yesterday. It's an orange 'plastic' line in the ground from the house to the main gas line. I disconnected the gas meter connection from the 'house end' and blew compressed air thru the line from the other end. Water came out. I repeated the process 3 or 4 times until no water came out. I don't want to go to the expense of a new line, but will have a plumber come out and inspect and see if it's worth reconnecting or if I should just install propane. Also, the iron pipe under the house is sitting on the ground...is that OK, or should it be hanging from the floor joists?

Author: redwood (CT)

Every leaking underground gas pipe I have dealt with usually had water in it...

Yes you want a plumber to check this out!

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.