Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Will pvc cement leach into water supply?
Author: su115700 (OH)

Has anyone seen studies on the effects of pvc cement on the drinking water supply? When connecting cpvc pipes some of this cement obviously makes it's way around the inside of water pipes, and even though it hardens, makes you wonder if any of this leaches into the water we are using, especially hot water.

Re: Will pvc cement leach into water supply?
Author: dlh (TX)

what water leaches into it, is minerals. water is not designed to be 100% pure and wants those minerals found in metal not in plastics or cements/glue

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

The solvents in the cement evaportate, and what is left is mostly PVC resin. I have not seen anything about whether this , or the PVC pipe iteself, leaches into water. It is generally recongnized as safe, by the same government agencies who bring you lead in toys and melamine in the milk. Don't get me started on that one!

Author: T Vinyard (CA)

The checmical used in plastics have always been suspect.
Now we hear that Plastic water bottles made for the purpose of holding drinking water is thought to leech a chemical into the water. No solvents even present there, "I would not drink from a pVC cup that I glued together"
But how Much and how dangerous it could be is a debate I'll stay away from. must be a chance? or why would it be a concern?

If there was a chance a piano being hoisted out of a window over my head could come down fast on my head i would be one of the people quick stepping away from being "chances target". while some I suppose would stay there are debate over it.

that is true but a plastic bottle isnt a cpvc or pvc pipe

- - - - - - -

Author: GSchreiber, CWSVI (MN)

PVC pipe can leach contaminants into water. Do a Google search for "PVC pipe leach chemicals into water". 9,000 plus hits. Read to your hearts content.

Author: ironranger (MN)

PVC pipe is not allowed for drinking water inside homes. CPVC is allowed but I have never used it and never will. IMO cpvc pipe is for the diy'ers who don't know how to run copper or pex and even then in most cases they still can't seem to get it right.

Author: packy (MA)

ironranger, you're my kinda guy..
you would have to search far and wide to find CPVC up north of boston..

Author: redwood (CT)

We don't have much just a bit south of Boston either Packy!

In fact it wasn't until just a year or so ago when Plumb Bob sent me some pictures of work his company did that I realized there was such a thing as a professional installation of CPVC.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

PVC is allowed for drinking water (UPC). It is not allowed inside a dwelling for issues related to temperature/pressure spec curves.

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

Cpvc is more than 50% around here on new homes...maybe 75%....its still rare i go into a house and see pex....i am starting to see alittle when i do remodels. usually just a bathroom...never the whole house...

i can make cpvc look almost as good as copper, it doesnt sweat, it is quieter, it doesnt leak (1 leak in 2 years...its all about the twist!)

im still not sold on Pex being the future..I had a local supply house tell me Pex sales was down and Cpvc was up! 6 months ago.

hasnt Cpvc been around for 35+ years now? and isnt flowguard gold much better than the original stuff?...why dont we hear of failures and leaching problems from that 35 year old stuff?...i always cross my fingers every time i turn the water on...it never fails me though.

i still push copper 100%, but cant sell it anymore on new homes

i have never used cpvc for anything except a a T&P valve and pan drain i ran on one house that was being remodled

- - - - - - -

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

Water is a great solvent. Almost any material will leach something into water. How much and how bad it is for your health is something we'll be debating for many decades. Everyone has to make their own decision on what are acceptable risks based on the evidence available today. Personally, I think the exhaust fumes you breathe everyday and some of the unpronounceable chemicals intentionally added to many food products are a bigger health risk than any plastic food containers or plumbing products.

Yes there are differences but All are plastic.
my pipes are Copper, I still filter and otherwise and run the water a bit before use
Point was only a completely nieve fool would ignore the possiblitiy that something "could" pose a risk even though not proven to all the nay sayers satisfaction. If Its harmless and I still didn't take the chance I'm no worse off for it, but the other way well.....

i bet you dont mind all the chemicals being put into your food though

- - - - - - -

Yes I do care,

I do "what I can" there as well,

That's all anyone can do. undecided

Edited 2 times.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

If you break it down.The pipe and the solvents.To,the point where they will not hold pressure and start to leak.Under any given water incoming !!!.Which will bleed or hold more of the products they are made of ?And when you read and under stand/At The mineral chemical break down level,Find another pipe type .with out cp and v in it's make up.you are wrong.Good Luck.I guess some people could do with a little more heavy metal in their bodies,Death wish types.When the world removes the c.I will see if my mind can be changed.ccp4 cmyx smymx4.All plumbing systems should be inspected through 4000 gallons of hot wash.And this is just a been there ,done that.cpvc,pvc are way low on my bad water ,home user list's.I will offer concern with this tubing in the mid range temperature non-use area.65 to 78 degrees.Only for the water qualities inability to stay stable.

yeah, going organic is very expensive. why i dont know since they dont have to spens all that money on stupid chemicals

- - - - - - -

Author: labryan (CA)

Does anyone happen to know what the city or water provider use for their pipes? Is it PVC C900? If so what's the difference between PVC and PVC C900?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.