Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pex to tub spout.
Author: rayh78 (VA)

I have seen in some new homes in my area that in a tub/shower they use pex out of the valve and then to a drop ear elbow.

I thought pex could not be used to spout because of back pressure cause shower head to leak.

which is right
thanks

Re: Pex to tub spout.
Author: packy (MA)

as always, read and follow manufacturer's instructions. some will tell you to run a pipe with a minimum 1/2" inside diameter. some don't tell you anything. if the houses with pex going to the spout don't have a backpressure problem, then who are we to say they are wrong?

Author: ironranger (MN)

I have been running Viega Pex since it was available and always use it for the drop to the spout and the shower head using drop ears, never had a problem.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Any material on a diver tor tub to shower application should reflect not only the manufacturers spec's but the flow rate that is expected below and in your concern above.I find the only time the size of the spout comes into play is if the flow rate is higher than the spec's .This will cause the water to run out the shower head during flow to the spout only in the high flow rate of the valve.Good Luck.Hope you asked before the wall was closed up.

Author: hj (AZ)

Every faucet manufacturer, as far as I know, advises NOT to use PEX from the valve to teh diverter tub spout. They may get away without it happening but the odds are against it.

I actually called Delta and Moen today and spoke with technical support and received some great advice from Delta. First, I was told they do not tell anyone they can't use pex off their valves. I was told that if I was concerned about it and still wanted to use my method of using drop ears and pex then use 3/4" pex off the half inch of the valve using a 1/2" fip by 3/4" pex fitting and then back into a drop ear using the same method, eliminating any restrictions. Still using the same amount of fittings and no extra cost involved.
Yes you can use PEX down to a wing L for your spouts. Even though I have never had a problem in the past, I will switch to this method of using the 3/4" pex in the future. You just never stop learning here, it's exciting and very informative isn't it? Heck, I might even have to send that one in and try winning the ridgid tools next month!thumbs

Author: redwood (CT)

Apparently you managed to find the only Tech Support people at both manufacturers that are not well versed in their own installation manuals...

Delta
"FOR TUB SPOUT INSTALLATION:
Refer to the installation instructions supplied with your spout. Do not connect deck mount
spouts to in-wall valves. Do not use hand showers connected in lieu of a tub spout to a
tub/shower valve. Do not use PEX tubing for tub spout drop."

[www.deltafaucet.com]

Moen

[www.moen.com]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 2 times.

Seems like an awfully complex way to avoid using a little piece of copper and a sweat drop ear elbow. The copper sweats into the valve so you do not even need an adapter at the valve.

maybe they lose something in the translation when they reach India. To paraphrase Admiral Dewey, "Damn the instructions, full speed ahead with the PEX".

Edited 1 times.

I'm pretty sure what they meant was that if you use 1/2" pex you could have a restriction since it's smaller than copper. After investigating, the 3/4" will work just fine, no restrictions. It's all about time hj, I know I can put it together a lot faster then you could ever prepare and sweat both ends! The last few Delta valves I installed have ips connections, no sweating involved.

1. Again, read the directions. The MIP connections also have inside 5/8" o.d. slip connections to solder the copper in directly. And I think I can solder it together in the time you are positioning the crimper, much less screwing an adapter on, cutting the PEX, positioning the crimp ring, and squeezing it. And 6" of copper and a sweat drop ear elbow, has to cost less than a PEX d.e. ell, 6" of PEX, and that cockamamee adapter set up you plan to use.

Ok if you say so hj! big grin The thing is, I do it all at the same time while installing the valve, which only takes a few minutes altogether. I know how long it takes to sweat in a tub shower valve, you don't have to tell me. Myself and the folks here that use Pex also know how fast it is.
I'll have the entire valve installed and secured while you're still down at the True Value for another flux brush because the only one you have left is sitting at the bottome of your copper tray with no hairs left! Just messin with ya hj, have a great day! big grin

Edited 1 times.

Who needs a flux brush when you have 8 perfectly good fingers? But the only sweat joint we are talking about is to the spout, not the entire valve. And it takes just as long to secure a copper valve as it does a PEX one, although the PEX might take a bit longer because the pipes will not stabilize it.

Author: packy (MA)

well, once again we have an argument that is evenly divided, split right down the middle....60/40

I bet they had the same argument when they switched from galvy to copper too! And even before that when hollowed out redwood tree's were the best thing for sewers!

Author: hi (TX)

HJ
That would be Admiral Farragut from the Mobile Bay situation.
August 5, 1864,
Admiral Farragut was the champion of the "wooden Navy!" (read champion of old technology)

New technology was demonstrated then... the torpedo..

The monitor ( It was widely believed that these warships were unsinkable) USS Tecumseh sank that summer morning, August 5, 1864, unexpectedly killing the majority of its crew and demonstrating the deadly effects of advances in technology such as the torpedo. In the words of one Confederate soldier at Fort Morgan reminiscing on the ill-fated ship, "She careens, her bottom appears! Down, Down, Down she goes to the bottom of the channel, carrying 150 of her crew, confined within her ribs, to a watery grave."

Author: redwood (CT)

Here's a wood pipe installed around 1879 excavated in 2007.

[www.sewerhistory.org]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

Except this time the manufacturer's experts are on the 60 side. we shall not use a perjorative for those on the other side.

What are you arguing for"
"A man convinced against his will, is unconvinced still"

Who's arguing hj, you lost me with that one. sleep

Author: dlh (TX)

put it this way, i do it the way the manufacture says to do it in the instructions. any other way and it can void the warranty and if you have a sharp inspector (i know they are few and far between) they can actually fail you for it by most codes

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

You insist on going against the advice of professional plumbers AND the manufacturers. That to me is arguing. It appears that even if we convinced you to do it correctly you would still mutter under your breath, "But it does work", so to use an old term, "You would be unconvicted still".

Author: Victoriasmommy8107 (FL)

A contractor DID use plex piping on my bathtub faucet and now the shower head leaks AND the metal piece wont hook onto the plex piping.

Author: jero56 (OH)

did you think about the crimp leaking because of side-loading every time the diverter on the spout is pulled on? Using PEX inside the wall for a diverter tub spout sounds like a leak just waiting to happen

Author: DarthBaneSithLord (TX)

Years later I would come to this post to find out if PEX can be used...leaving still unsure.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.