Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 PEX Stub-Out Options
Author: NickR (UT)

Just used PEX to replace 100+ year-old supply lines throughout an historic home, and now I've spent a few hours reading through threads here trying to decide how to transition to fixtures. It seems like there are 3 viable options:

-PEX straight out of the wall using an approved bend support
-PEX to copper el stub-out
-PEX to drop-ear with a nipple

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each of the above (and any other) options?

I think copper stub-outs or a nipple would probably look better aesthetically than PEX, and they both (if the copper is compression and not sweat) would allow for easier shut-off valve replacement, but the all PEX option means no in-wall connections, which is appealing.

That said, the stud walls in this old home are not always as deep as they should be, and 90-degree copper stub-outs and PEX bend supports don't really fit well in the wall cavity, so the drop-ear elbow with a nipple is probably the easiest way to go. Am I going to run into trouble doing that?

What am I missing here? Those of you who use PEX, what method do you prefer?

Thanks in advance for your input, and thanks for all I've already learned by reading old threads.

Re: PEX Stub-Out Options
Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

copper stub outs would look the best
threaded joint seems like extra work for no reason
direct pex stub out looks very sloppy, but eliminated all joints inside the wall which is the main advantage to pex..

it comes down to looks...does a floppy valve coming out of the wall matter to you?

Author: packy (MA)

option 4 would be to crimp a pex 90 at the stub out point. a drop eared 90 with a chrome nipple would be OK but would cost 7 to 8 times as much.
for trim, cut the pex at about 2", slip on a deep bell flange and use a 1/4 turn compression stop. no pex will show.

waukeshaplumbing , my first inclination is that a floppy valve at the wall is not so great. but, it is a sign of the times. mechanically, the connection is sound and long lasting whichever way it is piped.
it used to bother me that running pex for a job made it look like spaghetti. but, take a look at the wiring on a job. if run neatly, spaghetti piping isn't so bad.

Author: redwood (CT)

You don't have to put the Valve tight to a flange to have good appearance on a loose pex stub out as part of option 4 you could use a chrome sleeve. Also, in older homes I frequently come up through floors rather than walls.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

option 5

of course, if the piping is inside a vanity or a kitchen cabinet, just install the stop.. use a 5 for a dollar cheap spun flange to cover the hole, if desired.

Author: NickR (UT)

Thanks everyone for the info; I think I'm going to stub-out in PEX and use a chrome sleeve where it's visible. Not having a joint in the wall is a real plus, and I'll come up out of the floor in the places where the stud cavity won't allow a PEX bend.

Thanks again.

Author: SuperDaddy157 (NY)

My question is: How do you get the pex to come out of the wall without using a pex 90 degree elbow? I am in the process of doing this right now in a new bathroom renovation, and am trying to figure out how to best have the pex coming out of the wall under the bathroom sink cabinet. The 1/2" pex tubing I am using seems too stiff and rigid to be able to bend sharply enough to come out of the wall (2x4 stud) without using a 90 degree elbow. Not really wanting to use an elbow behind a wall (if I can avoid it), I would like to know how you guys bend the pex (read something about a "bend support"winking smiley to come out of a 1/2" drywall covered 2x4 studded wall.

I like the sleeve ideas, though, once I do get the pex through the wall.

Thanks for any help.

(just googled for the bend supports, I see what they are now)

Edited 1 times.

Author: dlh (TX)

yes you need a bend support but i dont think pex will bend enough to come out of a 2x4 wall. it might though i havent had a need to try it and really hope i never do

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: ThomasE (CA)

Looking at various PEX installation guides I'm under the impression that 1/2 PEX can be bent to a minimum radius of 3.75" to 5" (seems to vary by manufacturer). So seems like bending it to 90 degrees inside a 3.5" stud bay would be over the bend limit.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.