Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How deep is the sewer line?
Author: homeowner07 (AZ)

Hello everyone!
While I was on my friend’s house yesterday, he was running some water thru the cleanout in front of the house. I noticed the sewer line is at least 6 feet deep right outside the house where the cleanout is, I wonder how deep is at the end of the front yard right before it meets the city line, the distant is aprox 35 feet, I live in the Phoenix area just curious.

Thanks good day!

Re: How deep is the sewer line?
Author: dlh (TX)

theres no telling. it could be 7' deep or it could be 15' deep maybe even 30'. but your friends line should slope at 1/4" per foot until they did what ever they needed to to tie into the city main

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: Dunbar (KY)

Your sanitation district will be able to tell you the approximate depth by going off the plats of how that sewer system was laid out, along with all the laterals, manholes, turns of direction.

- - - - - -

Everything in Plumbing can be repaired or replaced.

Author: redwood (CT)

The sewer line in the street is as deep as it needs to be. In a sewer system they carefully design the system to maintain pitch while using as few pumping stations as possible. The lowest elevation lines would be closest to the treatment plant and pumping stations and from there would pitch upwards to the people served by the system. Terrain elevations would control the depth of the line in the ground. A low lying area would have shallow lines while on a high area they might be quite deep. I once saw a manhole that reminded me of looking down a Titan Missle Silo. I would not want the bill for digging that one up. There is no set number that can be given but as stated above the local sewer authority shoud be able to tell you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: hj (AZ)

In most areas the tap at the property line is at the same depth as the sewer main in the street or easement. The installing plumber then adjusts his line as necessary to make a connection to it. The majority of Phoenix house lines, unless they have a basement is about 3' at the house, but a large house and an ambitious backhoe operator can make it deeper.

Author: packy (MA)

to keep digging at a minimum, the contractor usually buries the sewer as high as possible at the house and slopes down to the street at recommended pitch. at the street, they will use a long bend to get to the proper level.

Author: jerco (MD)

If you remove a nearby manhole cover, oops I mean a personnel access cover, then you will see approximately how deep your final connection will be.

If you remove a nearby manhole cover,

1. You are assuming it is not blacktopped over or sealed to its ring by tar. Neither of which is a good assumption in PHX.
2. We are nearing the point where snowbirds from MD and all points North and East are showing up in PHX. They drive without looking where they are going so anyone opening a manhole could be run over or have a car in the hole before they can put the cover back down.

Author: jerco (MD)

Wait a minute. I live in Maryland and have removed plenty of Manhole covers and have hardly ever been run over by an inattentive driver. Or do we just not pay attention when we get to Phoenix?eye rolling smiley

That's about it. You are so busy enjoying the scenery and the fine weather, driving 20 miles an hour, that everything else is ignored. Which is why we follow people for miles, and miles, and miles with their turn signals on.

Author: redwood (CT)

Jerco what he is saying is the ones that move out there are the ones with blue hair.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

At least they only move here for a few months in the Wintertime.

Author: dripdrip (WA)

Blue hair may not clog a drain any quicker than any other hair color, but it sure clogs the local highways.

And the golf courses, even though I don't use them. Lucky we have thousands of them, at least it seems that way.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.