Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bright Blue Liquid Dripping from Back of Toilet
Author: HAmante (Non-US)

We recently moved into a new home, as I began cleaning the upstairs bathroom I noticed some intensely bright, blue splashes on the floor and baseboards at the back of the toilet. I thought it was some bath paint from the previous kids that lived here, so I cleaned it up and thought nothing of it.

However, the next time I had a shower the condensation from the steam seemed to assist these blue splashes in forming and after close inspection I could see that it was actually dripping onto the floor from the back of my toilet! Anytime I have a bath or shower it gets worse until the blue liquid puddles around the entire base of the toilet.

The problem is not getting better, though not getting worse. It seems to be a steady drip and increases with steam from the shower. I've looked inside the toilet, the clean water is not blue at all and there is nothing in there that looks like it would create blue liquid. There is also no blue found in the basin water. When I peered around the back there is a blue coloured ring around the bottom edges of the back of the toilet, where it looks like the blue liquid collects and then drips. This blue liquid does not seem to have an odour.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated...we should have contacted our home inspector as this was discovered on our first day here, but I didn't think it was a drip/leak, and it's been a couple months now.

Re: Bright Blue Liquid Dripping from Back of Toilet
Author: jimmy-o (CA)

It sounds like someone put that "2000 flushes" or similar product in the toilet bowl. It does NOT actually help clean the bowl, but it DOES eat the rubber parts inside the bowl, resulting in a leaking flapper, and in your case probably a leaking tank-to-bowl bolt gasket. Testing a few years ago found that that product could cause a new flapper to begin leaking in 28 days.

Author: redwood (CT)

Your toilet is a victim of the infamous smurf powder that people pour into their tanks to supposedly keep the bowl clean. If there is any of this in the toilet tank vac it out with a wet/dry vac immediately. This stuff can ruin a toilet!

Obviously some of it spilled on the back of the tank and whenever there is condensation it starts mixing. Clean it as best as you can is my only recommendation. This stuff has more staining ability than anything I can think of. You may have to remove the toilet to clean it completely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: e-plumber (NY)

Some toilet manufacturers apply stickers to inside of toilet tanks similar to this one.
Some of the producers of these cleaning products 'recommend' that user flush the toilet at least once per day to avoid 'possible' damage to the toilets components from occurring.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Author: redwood (CT)

From the mouth of Kohler...
[www.us.kohler.com]

The smurf powder is even worse, as it forms a gel like glop that if it sucks down into the flush valve clogs the internal water passages of the toilet blocking the water from the tank to the bowl. I have had to replace several toilets that this happened to.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.