Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installing sink - putty or silicone?
Author: Learning2 (NC)

I am installing a new stainless steel kitchen sink. Do you recommend plumber's putty or silicone sealant for the rim?

I like the durabilty of the silicone but it is a mess to clean up.
Thanks!

Re: Installing sink - putty or silicone?
Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Oh boy, here we go! Perhaps you are not aware of the VOLUMES which have been shared on this topic here!

Anyway, I have recently been using silicone more, and it's not so bad! You need to better estimate the proper amount or size of bead. Obviously "not enough" is no good, but unlike putty where " more is better" because you just roll it off, silicone is harder to clean the excess. Denatured alcohol is an excellent cleaner....water is no good, and mineral spirits don't work that well.

Author: Dunbar (KY)

Silicone works fine but what everyone makes the mistake of doing is trying to wipe up the excess right away.

Wait a hour and it pulls right up like a rope with no problems whatsoever.

So more is better to achieve that ability to pull it up like that. Smaller amounts require a flat edge or screwdriver to cut the seal at the edge of the ring.

Edited 1 times.

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

I use BOTH, If I use Silicone, I load it up, lightly press it in wipe the excess off the BOTTOM, PLace the gasket and the slip washer tighten the assy, let the excess that squeezes out on top stay RIGHT where it is, let it cure and then using a razor blade cut around the drain and pull off the excess.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Author: plumb-bobII (VA)

Boy, Silicone has jumped to an early lead. I'm a silicone man too. Dunbar makes a good point about setting up. Let it get rubbery, it will make removal easier. Where's Coach? laughing

Author: redwood (CT)

Time for a momentum shift! Putty! Truth be told either will work well. Far more important is the selection of the basket strainer and proper installation. I recommend using a double cup basket strainer as they can be tightened much easier than the type that has a large dia. nut to tighten. I rarely see those large nut units installed correctly. Also avoid using plastic units as they lack the strength needed for a leak free seal. If you use anthing other than the double cup basket strainer make sure that you glue it in with silicone its your only chance not to leak. I prefer a good solid mechanical conection myself that is why I use the double cup strainer and putty.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

NEITHER!!
Author: packy (MA)

the question is what to put under the rim of the sink.
a good grade of latex caulking is best. easy clean up and a lasting seal.
putty was used for years but i question it's longevity in that application.
cast iron or porcelain sinks are always set in good caulking but they don't have clips to secure them.
sealing the faucet or strainer to the sink is another topic.
if you do use silicone, denatured alcohol cleans it up. (before it sets up)

Re: NEITHER!!
Author: dlh (TX)

i agree with packy. i for one have NEVER used putty under the rim of a sink.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: redwood (CT)

Sorry, I should have read more than putty vs siliconefoot in mouth Packy is correct latex caulk under the rim.wink

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: lee polowczuk (SC)

Our sink came with silicon...it was a pain to work with...but it seems fine...

i couldn't disagree with latex, however.... nice and easy to work with.

Didn't read into it enough. Agree to agree!smileys with beer

Author: hj (AZ)

Flip a coin. That is an ongoing debate and those that prefer one are never persuaded to change by debating the other side.

Author: joint-runner (MA)

Wait around for an hour...what happens if you don't have an hour and want to test tight away????.Real Plumbers use Putty love

Author: packy (MA)

test what?

Right on Coach!

Author: jjbex (IL)

[www.herchem.com]
Look at this. I might give it a try.

------------------

"You can't get there from here"
Berry/Buck/Mills/Stipe

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.