Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Propane Fire Pits
Author: lucabrazi (CO)

I am building my own firepit in my backyard and am trying to do so safely but as cheap as possible. The standard fire rings cost 100's of dollars and seem to just be a stainless steel tube with holes drilled into it. Would a BBQ burner or similar LP burner work? Could you simply build your own stainless steel "fire-ring" and drill holes into it, so long as you had a regulator attacthed?

I know this sounds like amateur hour here, but that's why I am posting this question...so I can get good information! Thanks

Re: Propane Fire Pits
Author: redwood (CT)

When you get your engineering degree you can sit down and calculate how many holes, what size, orfice size, air inlet size and control, & regulator pressure setting along with the calculations for BTU's and gas code for proper controls. Even then if you wanted to sell it you would need product liability insurance... Till then you just might want to buy a manufactured unit and have it installed by a licensed plumber or gasfitter.

Gas the energy source that can make your house sneeze!
One second you own a nice home...
The next second you own a vacant lot with a smoldering pile of toothpicks!

This was a Greek Orthadox Church LPG Explosion Colchester CT.

Check out these 2 links:

[www.wtnh.com]

[www.channelcincinnati.com]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: hj (AZ)

The first rule with anything propane is that it must have a pilot burner. Otherwise the heavy propane gas will accumulate in the fire pit and then explode when you light the burner.

Author: ev607797 (NC)

Wow. I just watched one of those "Design an Outdoor Kitchen" shows on HGTV or Food Network and I was deeply concerned over the advice they were giving. The "professional designer" advised the home owner to simply purchase log lighters (a piece of capped pipe with holes drilled in it about every inch or so) with the holes facing DOWN and by using the appropriate black iron tees and ells, they could feed the gas into both of them. They then had them install a key-type gas shutoff valve on the outside wall of the pit. Apparently having the holes facing down would keep the flame output as more of a candle flame than a burner flame. They advised having these log lighters supported by bricks to set them above the drained floor of the pit to keep them dry.

OK, so the guy turns the key, can't find a match, runs in the house and gets one, comes back three minutes later as the propane has collected within a masonry confine and throws it. Ka-BOOM!

They advised a pit of lava rock purchased at the local home improvement store to be used to fill the 5' x 5' pit built of brick would be sufficient. This pit was then lined with slate slabs to be used as edging or "sitting areas" around the pit to cap the brick walls.

When the "professional designer" and the homeowner went to try it out for the first time, it was advised that they simply drop a lit match into the pit, but to stand back. Woosh! It lit, but I can't imagine what would happen if a bunch of cold behinds were sitting around the slate edge when nobody had a match and that three-minute trip had to be repeated. Especially if booze was flowing at the time.

Why, oh why do these home improvement shows instruct people to take such careless risks in an effort to make something look "pretty" in thirty minutes? This is very, very dangerous stuff! I am just a simple "Harry Homeowner" who worked as a plumber's helper when I was in high school. I learned a lot with regard to the dangers of escaping gas then and still appreciate it to this day, thirty years later. Please don't mess with this stuff if you aren't a licensed professional. I would hate to hear about your project on the nightly news!

---Ed---

Edited 2 times.

Author: redwood (CT)

Propane is heavier than air, Nat. Gas is lighter than air. When the fire department pulls up to a fouse where they had a propane explosion the house was lifted off the foundation. When they pull up to a nat. gas explosion the roof is blown off!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

And a house here that had 72 bug bombs lit with the WH pilot still going had the side wall of the kitchen blown off!

Usually with either one the walls are blown out and the place is on fire.

same thing happens if you are using gasoline, or a combustible fluid, to clean off tile cement, or lacquer floors.

Author: Scott D. Plumber (VA)

The best info I can give you is to chop wood and burn that in your pit. Otherwise buy something worth having and SAFE!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Give your kids a great start on the future! Encourage them learn a trade. Even if they go on to do other things, it's always nice to know that they have something to fall back on. Call your local technical training center or trade school to learn more.

Author: John_B_ (NJ)

You can try another solution. You can try bioethanol fireplace from Planica USA, I've ordered it here: [#$%&]. Now I don't have to smell choking smoke. And my wife is already satisfied smiling smiley

Edited 4 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.