Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 670,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Welcome to Plbg.com and PlumbingForum.com. The best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice, help, dyi, and informational plumbing forum. Questions and discussions about toilets, sinks, faucets, drainage, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, water quality, and other exclusively PLUMBING related issues. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, or business, pricing, or legal questions, or for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups. We do not sell your information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 surging toilet
Author: homeowner39 (VA)

After the toilet flushes and fills, the toilet makes a surging noise 4 or 5 times. It is getting worse and lately it sounds as if the water line in the house is surging too. We are getting ready to move- the house is on the market- and I don't want buyers to hear this horrible noise! Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Re: surging toilet
Author: steve (CA)

The noise could be a bad fill valve in the toilet tank. Does the noise occur just when the tank is almost full and the fill valve is starting to shut off the water?

Author: redwood (CT)

Steve probably nailed it! I would also take a pressure reading just to be sure that it is not too high. The water pressure sould be less than 80 PSI. and many strange noises can be attributed to high pressure. Like valves screaming for mercy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

That is exactly when it happens! Is a fill valve easy to replace?

Thanks!

Author: steve (CA)

If the toilet is a "standard" 2 piece toilet, then yes the fill valve is very easy to replace. I usually use a Fluidmaster 400A for a replacement.

As you can tell, I know nothing about toilet repair! Thanks for your help smiling smiley I'll be making the trip to the Home Center tonight and hopefully by tomorrow the awful noise will be gone from my life.

Author: redwood (CT)

You will probably want to replace the supply line as well. They tend to leak when disturbed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2021 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.