Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 HELP ME! Well water makes my hair smell like wet dirty dog!!
Author: KimmmieKim

Just moved out to the 'country' and I am NOT farmiliar with well water at all! Aside from the fact that it is about 100 years old, and sat vacant for about 8 months before we moved in, I cant get my land lord to send a plumber out. He will not return my calls.

Let me start from the beginning. When me and my daughters first moved in, the water ran orange and stunk like minerals or iron or whatever is in the well water....I had to complain ALOT for the landlord to finally send a plumber out (wouldnt let me get my own) and he said the water softner needed salt....ok i get that. But ever since....there has been no more orange and the smell has subsided slightly.....there is still a fairly strong odor and my hair straight out of the shower after a shampoo literally smells like a dirty wet dog who just swam in a lake. Its horrible. I have left messages for my landlord who is more than likely ignoring me because he thinks i am just a city girl and need to get use to country life. This cant be normal. My girls refuse to shower there....i am taking them to my mothers or sisters house to bathe.

What is the problem. Obviously it will be out of my pocket....and I dont have much money....please tell me why and what to do to fix this...I am at my wits end.

Sincerely,
Kim

Re: HELP ME! Well water makes my hair smell like wet dirty dog!!
Author: ev607797 (NC)

I have the same problem in my house, although it is about 85 years newer. We had to purchase a filter, a softener and a chlorinator to clean it up. It was expensive but worth it. Adding salt is a bit of a pain, but it only has to be done every couple of months. The chlorinator just requires a quart of Chlorox once a month. Have you considered asking the city or county if they have an office that regulates water quality issues where you are? They might be able to assist you in getting to the bottom of it.

You may also have galvanized steel plumbing in the house since it's so old. If so, it doesn't matter how clean the water is. The pipes themselves may be full of rust and mineral deposits that are adding to your problem.

Author: e-plumber (NY)

I would suggest NOT doing anything to the Plumbing system, (except for possibly having a water analysis performed), unless your Landlord approves such work to be done on his/her property.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Author: Flyers (TX)

This sounds a whole lot like some pipes that used to be used in the house got capped off way out at the end and now there's stagnant water in them but they're still connected to the system.

I'm not a plumber. I'm just a guy that had a similar experience.

Any opinions from the plumbers?

Author: packy (MA)

irregardless of what we say here, your problem goes beyond any impurities in the water. you need to work this out with the landlord or move back to the city.

Author: redwood (CT)

I would do as E-Plumber suggested... Have a water analysis performed to determine what additional conditioning is needed and if the water meets minimum health standards. If the water meets minimum health standards there is little you can do other than try to wheel and deal with the landlord on installing additional treatment. If the water does not meet minumum health standards then you can use the info for possible enforcement action.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: KimmmieKim

Thanks for replying....I have someone finally coming out today to test the water and do the initial diagnosis. Out of pocket for now :-( But I will then submit our findings and the bill to the landlord and hope for the best. If I find out that there is a dog that frequents my hot water heater for a midnight swim I will just throw in the towel smile

Author: GSchreiber, CWS VI (MN)

Being a renter, most Water Conditioning Dealers will have rental programs for systems. Check with one or more local ones for assistance. They will either be able to do water analysis for you or advise you where to have it done.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.