Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 hot and cold water switched?
Author: iamplumbing

I am not sure what to do about my plumbing problem. I am in a 4 year old house that I bought new. House is two story, and on a hill,so we have a water pump. We have never had any plumbing problems...until now.
Last week the upstairs sink in the bath started getting hot water out of the cold tap and cold out of the hot, but the rest the house was fine. Now, throughout the house, hot comes out of the cold spigot, and cold comes out the hot. Nothing has been touched or tampered with. How does this happen, and what do I do?

Re: hot and cold water switched?
Author: friglet (NY)

Did you put a shut off y on your utility sink or another faucet? If you did and you are shutting the water off from it instead of the faucet you will get a crossover.

Author: redwood (CT)

As friglet said you have a crossover problem. There is either something that has both hot and cold turned on, but has a secondary shut off that is allowing the cross over or, there is a bad valve. Cross overs could include things such as a utility sink that is turned on both hot and cold but has a hose connected with a turned off nozzle or, a tub/shower valve that has hot and cold on but has a shut off installed at the showerhead and that is shut off. These are common examples of a hot/cold cross connection. Another possibility is that a faucet valve has failed and is allowing the cross connection this is often seen when a moen valve fails, it happens with others too but is most common with moen.

This is a problem that should be taken care of asap. One of the most likely things to have happen is when that hot water hits a cold toilet it may crack.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: friglet (NY)

Im a headcustodian in suffolk county. I had that happen in one of the schools i worked in. Someone put a shutoff on the utility sink abutting a gang bathroom. Needless to say first urinal on the line cracked big time.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Could be a problem with a recir. system...bad check valve or crossover valve.

Author: hj (AZ)

It is not a common problem so the fix is not something that can be diagnosed remotely. A plumber, or someone, has to be at the house and trace the water movement through the pipes.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.