Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 turbotorch extreme air/acetylene question
Author: ianto39

can anyone tell me how to know when the tip needs replacing on a turbotorch extreme air/acetylene torch?

i've had mine a while and it's been great but now when i try to light up it just pops. if it does light it only burns yellow, won't get to the blue flame stage, and is making way less noise, sort of sounds like the cylinder is running out but it isn't (gauge still shows nearly full)

it sounds like most people use these with the gas turned full up, i've been using it just beyond the yellow zone, ie take it into the blue to light it then wind the gas back so it is just blue - big mistake?

Re: turbotorch extreme air/acetylene question
Author: dlh (TX)

i am not sure about your set up but my turbo torch is designed to run full blast. if not you can burn the tip up.

what you are describing with the popping and such with your tip sounds like it needs to be taken apart and the orifices just needs a good hot vinegar bath (cleaning)

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: hj (AZ)

If it is burning yellow there is not enough air to the flame, but if the flame is also limpid, then the orifice is probably plugged up.

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

Sometimes the tip need to be removed and the orifice need to be removed with an allen wrench. I usually file it lightly and run a tip cleaner through the orifice. Careful not to loose the rubber gasket. This often happens when solder falls into the tip. GOOD LUCK

Author: redwood (CT)

You may have had a drop of solder fall into the tip blocking off the air flow. Full bore is the way is should run or you will burn the tip.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: ianto39

thanks for the help all, i gave the orifice a hot vinegar bath and a good scrub out with some tip-files but no improvement, the guys at the supply store (Excel in SF) reckoned the tip had sprung an air leak somehow and switched it out for a new one, so it's RTV for the old one i guess, and back to work for me

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.