Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathtub drain flange Remove???
Author: Anonymous User

I am trying to remove a old bathtub drain flange. I purchased the special tool. The drain flange 1 1/2" diameter, had two prongs inside across from each other which the tool should of used to remove it. I tried turning it couterclockwise to loosend, even treid some liquid wrench. One plumber suggested used a receprocating metal saw, to cut some to remove it, I did so very carefully but still it is stuck.
I am trying to refinsh the tub but want to replace this old cruddy drain.

Any suggestions on removing.

I live in house with a crawl space, and I can see the drain pipes.

Re: Bathtub drain flange Remove???
Author: packy (MA)

if you can get underneath the tub, you can cut out the flange from below. there is a thick rubber washer between the shoe and the bottom of the tub. cut thru it and the portion of the drain flange you are trying to unscrew. loosen the slip nut at the overflow tee and slide out the remaining piece of the drain shoe. what is left of the drain flange will lift right out by hand. purchase a new drain shoe and drain flange to install when the tub is refinished.

Re: Bathtub drain flange Remove???
Author: jjbex (IL)

I use a dremel tool to cut out the drain. I usually cut out a small strip, then use a hammer and screwdriver to drift it out. This way I eliminate crawl space time, which keeps my bill lower.

Peace out,

Kordts

Thanks a MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Author: Anonymous User

Well thanks for the dremel tool idea. It worked like a champ. The dremel tools worked and I was to get the old flange out. I did burn up the dremel tool and had to return it for it new one. I called dremel and they said it was okay the dremel had a 5 year guarentte.

Your idea is the key for old frozen flanges!!!!!
Plumber $100 Dremel $80 and I get to the Dremel and $20

Thanks a MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Thanks a MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Author: jjbex (IL)

Glad I could help. Going on my own I have had to learn to think outside the box as there is no one back at the shop for me to call for help. I had a call last night where the homeowner couldn't get the locknut off the shank on a Moen faucet. The sink had a very narrow deck in back. The faucet had been mounted on the sink, then the sink dropped in place. There was about a 1/4" clearance around the locknut. No way to get a basin wrench up there. I was on my way home from another job, didn't wan't to have to go buy a socket or anything. I saw a pipewrench sitting on the counter, I took it, and spun the valve body. That loosened up the locknut, and I was able to back it off with my fingers. The homeowner was in the kitchen the whole time, and just shook his head, I used the same tools available to him, but was able to to "get 'er done" I just thought outside the box. because it was Friday night and I wanted to get home.

Peace out,

Kordts

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.