Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 670,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Welcome to Plbg.com and PlumbingForum.com. The best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice, help, dyi, and informational plumbing forum. Questions and discussions about toilets, sinks, faucets, drainage, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, water quality, and other exclusively PLUMBING related issues. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, or business, pricing, or legal questions, or for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups. We do not sell your information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Dishwasher Air Gap
Author: Anonymous User

Hi,

I am re-plumbing a dishwasher and have a problem with leakage from the airgap. It seems the DW outlet water pressure is quite high and water spews out through the airgap. It does partially flow through the 7/8 outlet to the disposal unit as well, but about 50% flows out through the airgap.

I have punched out the knockout on the disposal unit inlet and have also tried lenghtening the DW outlet tube to about 8ft with multiple loops to no avail.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Anthony

Re: Dishwasher Airgap - Help!
Author: rdog157h

explain airgap!! I am new and curious

Post Edited

Rather than connecting your dishwasher outflow directly to the drain, some codes require the flow to be connected to an "airgap" mounted on top of the sink counter top. The idea is that it prevents waste water siphoning back into the dishwasher. That's all very well, but as you can tell from my question, it isn't functioning as it should!

A

Author: Nevada Plumber (NV)

The drain hose from the airgap to the disposer needs to go down hill with no sags or kinks in the hose. If you have those, food will collect in the hose, and create a blockage. Take the hose off the disposer, clean it out, hook it up the correct way and you should be good to go.

Author: royboy (SC)

If your code allows, eliminate the air gap apparatus and run the drain line so a loop goes right up under the countertop. Use a nylon tie or wire to hold it up. Then hook it up to your disposal in the regular way.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: Dunbar (KY)

It sounds like the 7/8" hose is clogged, bent or collapsed causing the problems you are having.

Inspect the Air Gap for obstruction.

Author: steve (CA)

Air gaps are required in California. Disconnect the hose from the disposer, point it at a bucket and see if the water still comes out the air gap. I also feel there is a restriction in the hose or air gap outlet nipple.

Thanks for all the help. This is a great site.

Problem solved! I actually did check the disposer hose for kinks and blockages and found none, which is why I was so confused. The problem turned out to be the air gap apparatus itselt. The air outlet or hole piece on the top was actually inserted incorrectly. Re-adjusting this solved the problem!

Thanks for all the help. This is a great site.

Anthony

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2021 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.