Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 684,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Welcome to Plbg.com the PlumbingForum.com. We are the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice, help, dyi, educational, and informational plumbing forum. Questions and discussions about toilets, sinks, faucets, drainage, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other exclusively PLUMBING related issues. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, pricing, where to purchase a product, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups. We do not sell your information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Kitchen Sink Vent for under a window
Author: Anonymous User

Trying to install a new kitchen sink as part of a remodel. As I get ready to rough in the vent I realize that I can't vent straight up because the window is there. So go horizontal until I get out from under the window seems right, but that means drilling or cutting into weight baring studs. Is this ok or is there another solution. There are three studs nailed to gather as part of the window framing/header and I would be cutting or drilling through these three only.

Thanks to all the pros out there.

Re: Kitchen Sink Vent for under a window
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I would use 1 1/2" pipe for the horizontal run and bore through the studs.

Just remember the max size hole you can drill in these studs is 2" (diameter) and it cannot be any closer than 5/8" to the edge.

These rules are pretty much standard for doubled load bearing studs, but you might want to check your area to make sure they follow them.

Author: hj (AZ)

It is done all the time. Just cut the proper sized hole and center it on the studs.

Author: jjbex (IL)

If it drilling thru load bearing cripples or studs scares ya, install strongties vertically on 'em.

Cheerrs, Jeff.

Author: royboy (SC)

At the risk of getting things thrown at me by all you DWV plumbers, how about a 2" pipe down through the floor and a Studor vent?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: packy (MA)

royboy.. that's cheating! most inspectors wouldn't let that fly because running a vent up next to the window is not that difficult. i must say that i've ruined many 2 1/8" bits by drilling thru that triple stud next to a window. carpenters seem to know just what height we need to run the trap arm at and manage to fill that spot with 16 penny nails.

I knew that anyone over the age of 50 would jump on that idea with both feet! I've invested in carbide tip hole saws just because of those #@&*%# nails. Some times the window is high enough to put the tee back of the sink and run the vent just under the window framing to maintain the 6" rule. I just hate a dirty arm on a kitchen sink.

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

They know everywhere you are going to drill a hole and either put a 16 penny nail or a knot there. Studor vent? What do you think he is building? A mobile home?

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

I'm not going to say a word EXCEPT, NO

Sorry,I can't help it, I have used "Studor" vents, maybe 10 in my lifetime, But to stick it in a wall under a cabinet totally conceled, NEVER. That was my other word.

Plumbermandan

That was my first reaction also, until I decided he meant bringing the drain through the floor of the cabinet, like was done with "S" traps, and putting the Studor inside the cabinet. Still a "Mickey Mouse" way of venting.

I agree that it is a poor substitute to a VTR, but the advantage of having a 2" drain for the kitchen sink is a plus.

Everywhere I have ever done plumbing has required a 2" pipe to the point where the sink's 1 1/2" tied into it.

This is also our code, but this allows a drain with no 1-1/2" pipe. I use a 2X1-1/2X1-1/2 tee in the verticle with a 1-1/2" male trap adaptor in the branch.

I would expect that it is the standard way for most installers to do it.

Author: jjbex (IL)

In Exurban Chicago, it's a 2x1-1/2x2 tee. A double 2x1-1/2 wye is installed on the trim. The c/o plug is then in the middle. I have only seen 1 inspector insist on a different configuration.

Cheers, Jeff.

I have done it that way, but only if the drain is near the middle of the sink or too high for a conventional waste. Some inspectors will turn it down because it does not conform to the individual vent requirement for each trap.

Im from Indianapolis in. and here we can run a combination drain and vent .
Type of fixturesthat can be served by this type of vent are,floor drain,standpipes , sinks .and lavatories
if the trap size is 1 1/2 up size it to 2 inch take it thru the bottom of the cab you have to run it to a vented 3 inch line befor tie in .
by up sizing there is room for water and air . and you can run it as far as you want depending on fall 2 inch 90 inside of cab 1 1/2 bushing 1 1/2 trap adaptor .
we cant drill criples under windows and every kitchen sink sits in the center of one every time
also the only vertical drop it can have is down thru the cab horizontal the rest vertical no more than 8 ft

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2022 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.