Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Stubout Details and Purchase Schedule
Author: cakins (MO)

You know, books are great, but they often leave out the important details that newbies really need to know.

Like, when a book talks about stubouts, it never really says how long to make them.

When I'm roughing in the plumbing do I already need to have my fixtures on hand to know how long to make the stubouts? And, are the stubouts typically threaded or copper or is that, too, dependent on my fixtures?

Basically, I'm working on the rough-in of a bathroom, have kind of picked out at least the tub, lav/tub faucets, but haven't actually purchased them. Must I do that before really being able to proceed with the supply line stubouts?

Re: Stubout Details and Purchase Schedule
Author: packy (MA)

i wanna say, at least around new england, that stubouts are typically copper. you don't see threaded stubouts much anymore. when a house is piped in pex or cpvc, the stubout will be whatever the installing plumber uses.
i don't pay too much attention as to how much the tubing sticks out of the wall. 6" is usually plenty but if i have a piece of tubing laying on the floor and it is 8", i use it. after all it only gets cut off at the finish stage and a c/p flange and shutoff is installed.

Author: Anonymous User

I HAVE ALWAYS USED THE RULE OF CETERING YOUR STUB OUT TO WHERE YOUR DRAIN IS FOR SINKS .4-6 INCHES EITHER SIDE HOT AND COLD . WC 6-8 INCHES OFF TO LEFT SIDE OF CENTER OF FLANGE OPENING.BATH TUB O0NLY MATTERS FOR THE DRAIN LOCATION IF AN ODD STYLE THEN YOU NEED THE SPECK SHEET TO LOCATE DRAIN LOCATION ,IF STANDARD TUB IE 60IN X 30IN THEN EVERYTHING IS DONE LEFT OR RIGHT OFF THE CENTER OF THE TUB.HOPE THIS HELPS

Author: e-plumber (NY)

It sounds like you're working with copper. The bathtub faucet doesn't matter, it's in the wall, just stub up higher than where the valve body will be installed. For the toilet and lavatory basin stub out longer than you need and cut them down when you install the valves & set the fixtures.

On a pedestal, wall hung or any lavatory that has exposed piping we use 1/2" sweat sleeved valves X 3/8" compression, the same for the toilet.
Inspectors here frown on compression angle stops.

e-plumber

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

i'm with most here I make my stub outs 8".On single bowl sinks I put them 3" on each side of drain makin them 6" on centr of each other,and 16" above sub floor.On dbl sink bowls mainly kit if there is a window I find centr of window then go 3" on each side again making 6" from center to center of stubs and also 16" above subflooor.

6" works ,copper on lavies ,For toilets you have more trim options with 3/8"nipple ,if chrome just go with copper stub.I've been using Holdrite straps ......copper coated steel with a variety of pipe sizes ,fasten to stud face, solder to tubing.Pedistal lavies can be tight,the valve handles can hit the pedistal .Ip nipples save alittle space.Check you'r fixture cut sheet before you start...Bob

i forgot

Also for w/c I go 6" to left of hole 8" off subfloor with 8" stub.

Author: royboy (SC)

As you can tell by all the posts, stubouts are a personal preference. On a lavatory, I stub out the drain 2" left or right of centerline so that the drain assembly won't hit the trap. The water stubs 4" off center and under the drain stubout for ease of hooking up the supply tubes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: cakins (MO)

Thanks to all who posted so far. I do appreciate the info.

Though several focused on the location of the stubouts and NOT the length as my question asked, I think I got enough to understand that the stubout is basically just a place holder, typically longer than really needed. It will get cut off to size when installing the valves, etc. Is this right?

I would infer, then from this info that it really isn't necessary to have the fixtures in hand to look at installation instructions in order to do the rough plumbing. Is that accurate?

I love boards like this one that let the little informed become more informed. The only drawback sometimes is that the more informed on the boards tend to talk in their jargon and forget that we don't all work in that arena.

One person said to refer to the fixture's "cut sheet." ??? What is that?

I'm actually planning to try doing the supply with PEX, but understand that the stubouts will have to be something else as they get ready to enter the actual fixtures.

Author: hj (AZ)

"cut sheet" is the manufacturer's drawing showing the "recommended" location of the pipes for that fixture.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.