Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drain Size
Author: Anonymous User

I'm rennovating my kitchen and I'd like to replace some ancient pipes in the process. For a 2 basin kitchen sink, with a garbage disposal, and a dishwasher, what size drain line should I use? I have about 30ft distance and 6 feet of drop to reach the sewer line, just before the trap. The sewer line is 4" cast iron where I will join it. I'd like to use PVC for the new drain line. Thanks in advance for all suggestions. ~Ross

Re: Drain Size
Author: Deb (ID)

We need to talk about venting...
And what is this trap you are talking about?
Deb
The Pipewench

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I would use 2" pvc for the drain and 1 1/2" for the vent.

Venting

Oh yes...venting...nearly forgot...the old sink wasn't vented other than the main soil stack that goes up to the roof and that was 20 ft down the drain line.
The house has vertical 4" pipe that goes straight up 3 stories and sticks out of the roof. All drain lines on the first and second floors tie into this pipe at some point. The pipe has an elbow in the basement and then it runs to wall, where it exits to the street. Just before it exits, there is a 180 degree loop that hangs down. I thought this was called the trap. The elbow prevents sewer gas from backing up into the house because there is always water sitting in it. Does this sound like an odd scenario?

more on venting...

Sorry I lost my place. I see in books that there should be seperate vent lines that tie from each fixture all the way back to the main vent. My house doesn't have any of these. Any recommendations?

Re: more on venting...

Call a LICENSED PLUMBER.

That's a pretty simplistic approach isn't it? We could all save a lot of time reading and typing if that was the answer to all technical discussions. I'd like to at least gather as much information as possible before making the call.

Many plumbing codes permit 1 1/2" drain pipe and a 1 1/2" vent. On a kitchen layout such you have I perfer 1 1/2" rather then 2" because you will get a better scouring action through the smaller pipe. Over the years I have seen more 2" kitchen sink drain pipe stoppages compared to 1 1/2" drain pipes.

Author: steve (CA)

The Uniform Plumbing Code requires 2" horizontal drain pipe for a sink and or dishwasher. An 1½" vent needs to be within 5'
of the trap, before the drain pipe runs vertically. You need to find out what codes are for your location.

Author: hj (AZ)

If a 1 1/2" drain line is permitted, it is only for a very short one. Once it does stop up, it is going to be very difficult to snake properly.

Author: hj (AZ)

It is a simplistic solution, because we cannot "see" your system, so we do not know exactly what you plan to do, whether there are in fact vents on all the fixtures, or anything else about your drains and vents. Trying to describe them can be an exercise in futility, because what you describe we may not interpret properly, and vice versa.

Author: packy (MA)

the way i learned it, minimum size pipe and 1/4" per foot pitch. the water moves at 2 feet per second and scours the pipe by running thru in a circular motion.
1 1/2" pipe is all i have ever used for kitchen drains and i have never had a problem. in actuality you could vent the 1 1/2" pipe with 1 1/4" but it costs more than 1 1/2".

Trap in House

It does sound like you have a trap inside your house. Where do you live? Most systems do not have a house trap. My jurisdiction has some areas that are trap districts but they are out at the main.
Getting vents in the wall or furring out around them is a big project that requires some planning. Sometimes getting bids from plumbers helps to understand the scope and alternatives.

I always go 2" for kit line's. And 1 1/2" Vent min.

Author: Deb (ID)

UPC limits 1-1/2" trap arms to 42" max.
Deb
The Pipewench

Author: steve (CA)

Oops. I was just thinking about the 2" drain...

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.