Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 quality of Symmons shower controls?
Author: jeffw_00

For our new shower we found a Symmons one-handle control we liked - how is their quality compared to Delta, Moen,etc?

We have a symmons now (classic temptrol) and after 10 years it seems to be getting a bit flakey

thanks
/j

Re: quality of Symmons shower controls?
Author: Anonymous User

Symmons is better than average in the world of fixtures, We have installed them for many years but have switched to delta and moen mainly because there cheaper to service and you have so many more styles to choice from, guess we also just got sick of the same old symmons look year after year...decade after decade same valve, same look.MP

Actually, Symmons has an updated model that looks pretty snazzy - we went with it because we wanted the diverter on the control (hate bending down to the spout).

why are symmons more costly to service?

(ps -I'm in MA too)

Author: packy (MA)

symmons doesn't lead the pack in styling but they are extremely reliable valves. they just don't break. the cartridge to repair them(if needed) is not as expensive as some of the grohe or other high line european models. i use s-96-1 or s-96-2 all the time..

yea, that model has been out for about 8 years but it's the same valve body and the diverter control ( as one of my customers put it) feels cheap and loose. Both Moen and delta have diverter control on the valve body.Not putting down symmons but we just thought it was time for a change,besides our older customers love how easy it is to turn/off a washerless valve.Most of the time we install a 2 or 3 way diverter above the valve anyway so a standard shower valve is find for us.Good luck and hope you enjoy your new valve. MP

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents re: Symmons. Our company uses them exclusively, unless a customer supplies a different brand. I don't know what the original poster meant when he wrote his is "flaky" after 10 years. Symmons valves use brass internal parts (with the exception of the diverter), whereas Delta uses plastic internal parts. The Symmons valve body is also a much heavier brass than Delta. As far as Symmons being allegedly expensive to service, I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Look at Moen, a replacement cartridge for their shower valve was at least $30 last time I checked - and it's plastic! The pressure-balancing spindle in a Symmons valve can be affected by poor water quality (i.e., sediment, dirt, high mineral content), but they're quite easy to replace. Symmons has begun offering more updated trim options. Unlike a ceramic or cartridge style valve, Symmons is a compression style valve, which means you have to give the handle a good, firm snug when you shut it off, so it doesn't drip. All in all, a good valve for the money, and parts are easily available, which is a big plus for service plumbers.

Author: Dunbar (KY)

Symmons valves are almost non-existant in my area, and you can't buy them anywhere.

Never could figure out why they aren't more prevalent in this area.

years ago they offered a free tour of there factory, free lunch and a free s-96-2.

quality of Symmons shower controls?
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Flacky,eh? Now that is pretty plumbing descriptive, lol.
Symmons makes an excellent shower valve that is priced on the mid to higher end. It offers both tempering and pressure balancing which makes it idea for the commercial markets like hotels and motels who are concearned about HOT water and its negative effects on the young and old body.
Because the valve is brass, it requires annual maintainance with an occassional white vinegar dip to remove minerals and scale deposits from its spindle with a gas operated piston that must move freely.
After 10 years of use... you just may need a new spindle to renew your "Flacky Valve."
Best Wishes

I've had trouble finding Delta or Moen's with a builti-n diverter at the handle. If you know one that's similar in looks to the upgraded Symmons, can you post model #s?

thanks
/j

It could have something to do with geography. The Symmons factory (which I have visited) is located in Massachusetts, less than 50 miles from the area I work in.

Massplumber,
I went on a Symmons plant tour about two years ago, as part of my plumbing class. Our plumbing school chartered a tour bus. There must have been nearly 70 of us. They treated us to an excellent dinner buffet, but no shower valves were given away, unfortunately.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.