Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Moen shower faucet repair
Author: Anonymous User

My Moen shower faucet [ single round plastic clear knob, push-pull type ] is hard to pull out to start flow and leaks out from under the knob. Have knob and access hole cover plate off, as well as copper clip that looks like it is the only thing holding stem from being pulled straight out. Stem will not come out. Is there something else holding it or does it come out hard? Don't have model number but is about 1986 model. Thank you for any help. Dave.

Re: Moen shower faucet repair
Author: Dunbar (KY)

Calcium buildup is holding the cartridge in the faucet.

Use the screw and handle and put it back on the stem to use the handle as leverage. You take a chance with breaking the handle this way, plastic gets brittle over time.

They make a tool specific to removing these cartridges, if you can justify the cost of buying it.

Make sure you use plumber's grease on the new cartridge when installed, make sure that the valve body is free of calcium buildup before installing new one.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

The tool is under $20 dollars at any hardware or supply house. It is probably the ONLY way you will get it out. The tool engages the 2 "ears" on the cartridge, allowing you to twist it. Once it turns, it will pull out with a good yank.

Thanks, guys,
There are 2 ears at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, but they seem to be made of soft metal. [I thought at first that they were plastic, so I didn't horse around with them].
I'll try to get the tool in town. I don't see anything else holding it in there. Is there a possibility that o-rings are all that's needed or is the entire cartridge the best route?

Thanks again.

That cartridge consists of O-rings and 2 rubber pieces that are conformed into the cartridge.

That cartridge is relatively inexpensive, I would replace the entire thing.

I'm leaving now to try for the tool. Thanks so much for your time.

Dave.

Re: Moen shower faucet repair (28cents)

Used a pair of Vise Grip pliers on the very end of stem, then put an antique [not kidding] automotive puller behind pliers and forced out the cartridge. Found a cut o-ring at interior end of stem. Replaced for 28 cents at Ace Hardware. Bought plumbers grease also. Thanks again for a great place to get information. Dave.

Oh Yeah: Almost forgot. The tool to remove old cartridge comes in the package with the new cartridge. Dave.

Cool Beans!

Those 0 rings get ya every darn time! smiling smiley

Author: jjbex (IL)

That tool to remove the cartridge only works on new installations. It wouldn't have removed your cartridge. Now that you greased it, it might work up to about a year. It might not be a bad idea to do yearly inspection and greasing.

Channel Locks and a good yank after spinning with the plastic tool works on ones that have been in for ages....

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

In the water around here, that plastic tool disintegrates immediately without even budging the cartridge.

The repaired cartridge is working beautifully. Thanks one more time for everyones' advice. Dave.

Actually spray vinegar in around cartridge It really makes a difference. I know it sounds wierd but try it it will really help on the stubborn ones and old brass cartridges. Spray it and let it set.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.