Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 650,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Best online strictly PLUMBING help, advice, dyi, and informational forum. Questions and discussions about toilets, sinks, faucets, drainage, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, water quality, and other exclusively PLUMBING related issues. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, or business, pricing, or legal questions, or for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. This site is free, ad free, pop-up free and made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Steam radiator vent spitting water
Author: Anonymous User

A customer who just had a new steam boiler put in called us because a radiator air vent literally flew off the radiator (the vent broke off at the threads). I checked the pressuretrol setting on the boiler, the cut-in was set a 9.0 psi, with a 1.5 additive differential. I reduced the cut-in setting to 0.5 psi and replaced the radiator vent. When the system got up to pressure, the vent began spitting water. There was severe water hammer in the radiator (steel-fin on steel pipe convector) and also in the uninsulated steam main. The radiator was pitched properly (single-pipe system). Every time the water hammer kicked on, water spit out the vent. But I'm not sure what's causing the water hammer. I also noticed that the boiler shut down on low water, but the water level came up again as the boiler cooled. There was also a lot of rusty gunk on top of the water in the sight glass (the boiler was only replaced about four days earlier). What's wrong with this system?

Re: Steam radiator vent spitting water
Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

TT SOUND LiKE IT NEEDS TO HAVE THE TOP OF THE BOILER WATER BLOWN OFF OR SKIMMED AS THEY CALL IT.

Author: e-plumber (NY)

It sounds like wet steam is being carried up the mains to the rads. causing the hammer and spitting from the air vents. Is there a skim valve on the boiler, there could be a film of dirt or oil on the surface of the water (dirty sight glass) which could complicate things as well. All rad valves on a one pipe system should be in the fully opened position to help the condensate drain back properly.

e-plumber

P.S. How did you make out with that rad valve on the hot water system?

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Author: Anonymous User

E-plumber, check out my follow up posting tomorrow (Thursday).

Author: mikeinpa (VA)

I would agree with e plumber ,sounds like wet steam ,was the boiler skimmed if not ,skim the boiler also check the near boiler piping to boiler specs,are there any main vents ,try .5 cut in with a 1psi diff.

Post Edited

Service plumber northern va

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2020 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.