Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 vent pipes in the attic
Author: Anonymous User

I would like to re-route some of the vent pipes in my attic so I can put down flooring for storage. currently the pipes run above the ceiling joists. what I would like to do is run the pipe below the boards until they are directly under the place in the roof that the vent pipe goes through and then go up through the roof. Also do these pipes have to be at a particular angle?

Re: vent pipes in the attic

Pitch the pipe downhill to the fixture they come from,as far as a minimum I'm not aware of any ,your only draining condensation.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are these pipes for? one pipe comes from the kitchen sink and the other appears to come from the washing machine. The pipe from the kitchen sink joins with the pipe from the washing machine and from there goes horizontal for about eight feet then up and out the roof. Thanks

Suck water into a straw amd put your thumb on top......No drain......take your thumb off.......drain....Same deal ...larger scale.

Author: Dunbar (KY)

Just remember that no vent shall run other than a uphill direction. Any drops or dips will allow water to sit in low spot and freeze, thus causing the piping to break.

ooohhhh, now that makes sense! thanks.

It sounds like it doesn't matter if the pipes in the attic go up and then down and then back up again. as long as there is an unobstructed path to the air outside. Does thst sound right? Thanks

thanks, but I thought these pipes were for drawing air to the fixture. do these pipes have water in them at anytime?

Author: Dunbar (KY)

They have to continually rise. Condensation from moisture from sewer gases would build up and collect in the low spots,,,,with no way to drain. No plumbing inspector will pass a pipe in this fashion. You basically would be making a trap out of a vent......which will never work.

Author: steve (CA)

TDR, the pipes can't run up and down! They must run up towards the roof. Some codes will allow the vent pipe to run perfectly level, but otherwise up towards the roof.

This is what I needed to know. thanks to all that replied!

Author: hj (AZ)

Wrong! The pipes can go up, sideways, up, sideways, etc., but never down.

One exception!!.........Bow vent for island sink

The person was asking about rerouting vents in the attic, not installing an island sink.

Yes and steve's point was not to run a vent in manner as not to form a trap,vents have to run UP!on an even plane

Even the yoke/sow vent has to be connected so the the low point drains.

You really don't want to change your venting system at all.You're allowed to use 45's if you run across a beam. Utherwise, you need to run it straight up. Hope this helps you out.

Author: jeffl (MA)

Can it go downhill if it then intersects another vent which pitches downhill? The drop is only a 2" street 22s worth where by one direction of the ty is a dry attic vent pitched down to another bath below and the other direction it pitches is 2" up to a 3" vertical out the roof.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.