Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Adding a Jacuzzi Tub to second floor
Author: Anonymous User

We are wanting to add a jacuzzi tub to the second floor bathroom replacing the standard size cast iron tub that is there now. The info on the jacuzzi tub is at www.lowes.com/jacuzzi and it is the espree model 6060 please advise as if the floor will be able to handle the weight it will be in the corner of the up stairs. One side will be on an exterior wall. The product weight of the tub is 122lbs the total floor loading weight is 888lbs please let me know.

Re: Adding a Jacuzzi Tub to second floor
Author: jjbex (IL)

You really need to talk to the builder of your house. Every time we installed big soakers, the carpenters had to beef up the joists.

Author: hj (AZ)

Depending on the size of the cast iron tub, it could have weighed almost that much when it had water in it. I have never had to change the building construction to handle a tub like that.

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

I would like to know how was it that you came about the toal floor weight of 888 lbs. I also believe, if accurate this is a load ratng per square foot. It still sounds high for a second floor structure but is possible. If you are sitting on top of an outside wall then this load bearing wall should help in carrying much of the load. Also consider weight of the water. Knowing how many gallons the old tub held compared to the new tub may also inform you if you water heater is properly sized. GOOD LUCK

Author: steve (CA)

Hytech, the total floor psf rating would be more like 50(this would include the floor framing as well as what you put on top of the floor). The tub is a corner unit and will cover a minimum of 22 sq.ft..

22sq.ft x 50psf=1100 lbs

The tub holds~62 gallons@8.33= 516lbs
The weight of the tub is 122lbs + bather

Depending on the surround/support design(weight of materials), the total load on the floor for this area would be close to the maximum.

So Steve,

Would you say its all good to put in? also I asked my father what he thought and there is a closet underneath us as well. I assume you went to the website at lowes and saw the info on the espree 6060 also from the other replys the water heater has nothing to do with this the new tub has a heater.

Thanks any more inquiries please send to troy_oak22@yahoo.com

the tub your talking about w/heater is for maitaing heat, it dont heat the water that fills the tub...

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.